holly - ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Holly is a good wood for carving so how about one of those fish (cod I think) lures on one of RM's programmes. He carved a nice little wolfs head at one end of the lure. The one where you push it down with a stick and it spins up to the surface attracting the fish ?

Just and idea....I want a go at one of these when I get round to it. :wave:

leon-1

If you are in to archery you could try using some for arrows.

The celts believed that the holly was good luck and it was generally carried by men, the female equivalent was ivy. Strange that it should be part of a yuletide song "The Holly and The Ivy" :wink:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
leon-1 said:
If you are in to archery you could try using some for arrows.

The celts believed that the holly was good luck and it was generally carried by men, the female equivalent was ivy. Strange that it should be part of a yuletide song "The Holly and The Ivy" :wink:

The song comes from the C17th and uses elements from much earlier as you say Leon :wink:

In Scandinavia, the evergreen varieties including Holly were revered. A sign of defiance to cold and a symbol of life’s continuity.

Holly was thought to be the home of wandering spirits. It was hung in homes to assure the occupants good luck. It was assumed that the "points" would snag the evil-intentioned and prevent their entering. When holly was brought into the house, it became an object of lively interest and speculation. It was (incorrectly) believed that the very sharp "pointed" leaves were male, the smoother, female. Thus, the type of holly determined who should "rule the roost" in the coming year. Victorian merchant, Henry Mayhew estimated that London merchants sold 250,000 bushels during the 1851 Christmas (not to imply there was a lively trade in alternately pointed and smooth leaves).

Many other myths surround this most popular of all Christmas plants. It supposedly wards off witches. A Syrup made from holly allegedly cures coughs. A spring of holly on a bedpost assures one of pleasant dreams. Many, many other such myths also exist.
An early name for Holly was 'Holm' hence the 'Holm Oak' or Evergreen Oak (Quercus ilex) because of the evergreen, prickly leaves. This oak was introduced into Britain from the Med region around 400 years ago.

Don't forget to season it well, IIRC the rule of thumb is a year per inch of diameter. However, depending on what you intend to do with it, I've had good results by stripping off the bark before it's dry. Not only is this much easier to get the bark off, but it seems to lessen the effect of splitting at the ends.

Good advice Motorbike man. Holly does have a tendency towards splitting as I found out recently when I carved a Spoon and it began to open up just as I was making the finishing touches.

Holly is my absolute favourite wood for a Bow (Fire Drill not Archery). Most trees will have some small branches with a lot of natural curvature. These are fantastic and get lighter and better with age.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I once heard that boiling the bark gives you a good natural glue. Never tried that - on the to-do list :)

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE