Hog Roast for a Handfasting.. help!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Hi guys im in a bit of a pickle i need to sort a hog roast of sorts for my wedding this saturday, had some plans but they seem to have fallen apart. first i was considerind doing it with a fire and traditional hand winder but now have considered cooking times of 12 hours or so and have not enought time to stand and turn,,, help any ideas, i was considering getting someone in- to do it but they are all booked up... any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Try contacting the bhurtpore Inn. I believe that they do hog roasts and the guy has alway's been very amenable when I've spoken to him he might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
One option you could try is contacting your local butcher, mate of mine did for his fortieth, and the butcher got the hog roast cooked at a local bakers....big oven then delivered the whole thing piping hot ready to carve on the day! It was one of the best hog roasts I've ever been too....

Good luck with your search, and best wishes for the wedding

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Wrong area for me to give any direct contacts or help.

Some suggestions of 'people' to contact who may know of hog roast machines in your area (some will bring machine and leave you to get on with it , some prefer to be on hand, guess you already have some idea anyway)

Google Guild of Q Butchers and find nearest to you. Local/County Young Farmers Club.
County "Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institute/ R.A.B.I." (long shot but they do fund raisers so may have someone they use)

Some of these may know of people who may not advertise either because of enough 'word of mouth' or only doing it as a sideline.

Just some thoughts.

And goodluck and congratulations on the handfasting :)

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I roasted one for my wedding a couple years ago. After some Googling, I built an "above-ground pit" of stones and cooked it overnight. Turned out great. This is the only pic I could find:

IMG_0337.jpg

Basically, build a rectangle of stones, with some expanded metal mesh suspended in it. "Butterfly" the pig by batoning a machete along it's spine and through it's head so it lays flat (be careful not to puncture the skin on the bottom or it'll leak the marinade out).

Dump a sack of charcoal in each end of the rectangle (NOT under the pig or the drippings will catch on fire) and light it.

Fill the butterflied pig with marinade and garlic and lay it on the expanded metal.

Cover the "pit" with insulation (I put a sheet of aluminum over some poles hoping that it would reflect heat, then covered that with sheets of cardboard and canvas).

I think I added charcoal twice during the night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE