Hobo stoves, tin cans and braziers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I've built a couple of Photons for amusement - they're a lot more effective than you'd ever expect. Certainly more heat output than my Trangia burner.

I prefer the designs that force vapour out under pressure, rather than the perlite-type ones.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Backpacker magazine, a very decent American walking mag, has run various articles and competitions with regard to ultralight stoves, usually alcohol burners, made by the readers. Coke cans figure heavily in the designs. www.backpacker.com probably has some of the details, as they archive a lot of their material.

For a wood-burning stove I tend to carry a folding model I bought from Cabela's, which packs up to the size of a paperback novel but is a bit heavy. It's a clever design, probably too complex for its own good though, but I can't say that it has a clear advantage over using a big coffee can. It does lift the fire off the ground, though, which aids in the ventilation.

Another American stove I'd love to try is the wood-burning Zzip stove, which has the unusual feature of a battery-powered fan to force air into the fire, by all accounts creating a remarkable blaze for cooking. No toasting in the embers, alas, but then again stoves like this are for those times when an open fire is not the best option. Of course, this is a commercial stove, as is the Cabela model, and not a bit of home-brewed ingenuity. The most interesting design of that variety I've heard about was apparently made from an old shell casing, but sadly I have never seen proof of it.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Does anyone know anything about Swiss Army Aluminium Volcano Flasks? I keep seeing them at my local army surplus store...I'm intrigued... :-D

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I've just been in contact with ZZStoves about the Sierra - shipping costs are about $17 to the UK. I'm not sure about it (batteries?), but I'd quite like to give one a workout. I've seen mixed comments about them, but they sound like a potentially useful device. I think Survival Aids (as they used to be) sold a battery assisted stove at one point, but I never tried it.

The Kelly kettles are very, very effective - the combination of the chimney shape and the firepot gives a very good draw through the fuel, and the large surface area of the chminey gives very good heat transfer to the water, so you get the best out of your fuel.

Just don't try to pick them up whilst the stuff is still burning vigourously... :shock:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i use something like these

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/stoves.html

i make mine from large/tall dog food tins, the later models have a grate made from the top of a disposable barbeque. they also have a very large hole in the side at the bottom. you can blow into into the heart of your fire, and light it from the bottom.

performance wise you can get very lazy with firelighting as they'll burn really poor fuel. you need to suspend a billy over top of the stove so you can keep feeding twigs in. the fire burns down to nothing very quickly, and there's hardly any ash. ideal for buscrafters in places where lighting a fire can be a bit dubious.

this is another bit of tin can tech, the stand and the shield are made from a disposable barbeque. the windshield now has a row of holes in the bottom made with the office hole punch.

186894-MVC-017F.JPG

these days i use a snowpeak Ti mug, with a simpler potstand and the pepsi can meths burner. turn the burner upside down for use with esbits/hexy blocks. use a paper clip to hold the windshield together in operation, the windshield forcing heat into contact with the cookpot is really is the essence of the trangia. this windshield makes so much difference to any stove's efficiency.

so much lighter and cheaper than a trangia too!

cheers, and.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
The volcano flasks are similar to kelly kettles, there's a pic here:

http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/800/shopscr1749.html (I would post it but for the sake of copyright...pfft you can still view source without a right click </web rant> :) )

I've always been a bit dubious of the Kelly kettle, though i'm sure it works well...What's it like in terms of size/weight?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Kelly kettles and Volcano stoves are ok - I carry one in my landrover as a breakdown brew up stove - but for hiking and most foot based activates their way to big. They weigh nothing but the shape is to awkward.
:cry:
The home made stoves are interesting but I prefer to use a greenheat camping stove when out 'gathering' as its small, light easily packable and smokeless. Ideal for a brew up and the perfect size for a metal mug.
:-D

For a long fixed camp I'll use a fuel stove but check out www.greenheat.co.uk and have a look at their range - interestingly enough their gel lights with a spark too and would make an interesting fire starter - hopefully we can persued them to send some for us to trail. :?: :!:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I used to carry something similar rather than hexy stoves. That led on to some entertaining experiments with gelled alcohol - for example, soap will dissolve in meths to gel it. The downside is that it smells of burning soap in use! There are a couple of other ways of gelling alcohol, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. 1940s chemistry texts...

Interestingly, hotels often use (or used, I'm about 10 years out of date here) gelled alcohol to keep chafing dishes warm... As I'd have seen mentioned on Greenheat had I looked at their site more closely!

I've also seen mention of hand cleaners that are little more than isopropyl alcohol with a gelling agent.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
sounds interesting - well dig deep in the chambers of your memory and let me know what comes to light!!

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Calcium acetate. I thought it was an acetate, but thought it might have been lead (eww).

And back to the Wings archive, amongst others - http://wings.interfree.it/html/Gelalcohol.html

Calcium acetate is E263, used in canning fruit & veg as a preservative. Also seems to crop up as a calcium supplement (pharmacists), and as an additive for fish-keeping.

It could be made successfully with vinegar and chalk(or eggshells, or lime, or marble...), but you'd need to evaporate quite a lot of water to reach saturated solution levels. Interesting to know, but perhaps not a cost-effective use of time!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
That Greenheat stove looks to be a variant on the old Sterno cookers. Is it really worthwhile? Although I used to keep Sterno around for hurricane season emergencies I always found the stuff to be pretty inefficient and slow to warm food through.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
That's the people!

My own experiments with making calcium acetate are afoot... Strong vinegar + eggshells. The rate of reaction has slowed down, but I may warm the mix up to encourage it. So long as there is an excess (eggcess?) of shell left in the jar, all the vinegar should have reacted.

Then I'll filter and evaporate until I see crystals forming, which should give me a saturated solution. No idea how much yield there will be yet.

Ah, kitchen chemistry...

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
£5 at the market, Brought back from Africa 10 years ago, and been sitting in chap's garage.
It's made from an old wheel, with a a molded terracota grate in the middle. Lovely looking thing, hand painted around the outside.

Cooked myself some soup for tea to test it out. It would make an excellent BBQ, so we got a grate for it aswell.

stove.jpeg

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
Espy

please keep us updated on your progress re: Calcium Acetate. I am facinated (and worried that if we don't hear from you regularly, we will see it in the news - Man found dead in kitchen - that sort of thing.

Good luck and cook safe.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
It is ongoing... I have about 1/2 pt of very faintly vinegar-scented liquid (thankfully no egg smell!) which has been strained through kitchen paper to remove the last fragments of shell; I'm evaporating it on the kitchen windowsill at the moment, and I'm starting to see what looks like flocculates forming - which could well be the calcium acetate precipitating out, not sure yet. I'll have to add a drop or so to some meths to see.

As for "man found dead in kitchen" - I don't recall cooking for you? :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE