Hmmmm I had A thought today,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I found myself wondering if the proliferation on-line lives removes the need to experience the world as a real place, after all why climb that mountain or cross that river if you can log on to google earth and see what is on the other side, click on face book and see the written and pictorial reports of people who have been there and live through their experience from your swivel chair in the comfort of your home WHY! the answer is simple,

YOU NEED TO LIVE TO BE ALIVE,

If you live your life vicariously you'll never truly wonder at the brilliance of a lonely sunrise over a distant peak, never feel the breath of a cold wind urging you to move on before camping the next night next a warming fire, never feel the comfort of company after a week of solo travel through a remote valley,

we need to leave so we can return,

If you never leave you will never know what your missing,

HA! I never even copied it! it came from my brain:christmas1:

What do you think? do you think a person can recede into an on line life? I don't mean furious teenagers and their antics:eek::D

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
One thing that seems common to forums across sports is an obsession with the technique/equipment. Sometimes I think its easy to forget what you really do it for, thats why I like reading trip reports :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
[h=2]Have like this poem from Ballads of a Bohemian by RW Service for years. Could apply to an online lifer.

Old David Smail[/h]
He dreamed away his hours in school;
He sat with such an absent air,
The master reckoned him a fool,
And gave him up in dull despair.

When other lads were making hay
You'd find him loafing by the stream;
He'd take a book and slip away,
And just pretend to fish . . . and dream.

His brothers passed him in the race;
They climbed the hill and clutched the prize.
He did not seem to heed, his face
Was tranquil as the evening skies.

He lived apart, he spoke with few;
Abstractedly through life he went;
Oh, what he dreamed of no one knew,
And yet he seemed to be content.

I see him now, so old and gray,
His eyes with inward vision dim;
And though he faltered on the way,
Somehow I almost envied him.

At last beside his bed I stood:
"And is Life done so soon?" he sighed;
"It's been so rich, so full, so good,
I've loved it all . . ."—and so he died.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think for some people it'd be all too easy.
Seriously, at home, sit down, chill out, read on line. The net means that you can virtually see anything. Even though 'we' know that the virtual reality is as lifelike as the smell of dinner on a cookery programme, some folks just use their imaginations to fit themselves into the electronic vision.

I think the heart of the question though should be, "Would it really satisfy you ?", and my answer would be, "No.".

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, now.........I think if you 'know' what dinner smells like, from it's growth to it's gathering, from it's cooking to it's savouring by all of your senses, then yes, I think you 'need' the reality of it all :D
If you don't, or are in no need of somehow fulfilling that hunger, then, maybe virtual is enough :dunno:

cheers,
M

p.s. I like the poem Boatman :D I know a few folks like that :)
M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Would a Rustlers Burger be more palatable if you were watching Nigella cooking something up on Youtube whilst you were eating it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE