Hipflask with leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi guys (and girls),

Just wanted to show a little something I made over the weekend. Bought a standard (and cheap!) hipflask and made a leather "wrapping" with embossed Celtic knot. With just a few simple tools, nothing special. If anyone wants to know how exactly, just write up here and I'll reply. (Especially since there's a thread about basic leatherworking equipment).

1313818848_3126adab10.jpg

1312934925_2d7965d217.jpg

Cheers,

Thijs

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Very nice indeed :D Some details of the process would be great, I want to try celtic knots and bands in leather sometime soon :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
VERY nice Thijs! - a tutorial on how you made it would be grand mate! :D

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Well, thanks to you all for the compliments! Here's a tutorial, not many pics of the process cos I didnt expect anyone to want it.

1. Cut out a rectangular piece of leather to wrap around the flask. Rather a bit too large then too small.

2. Decide where you want the pattern and how big.

1314939512_f9b6c08a6a.jpg

3. Print the pattern, cut it out and transfer to a plastic sheet.

1314054617_4f57b13b8d.jpg

4. Mark out the pattern on the leather with a non-waterproof marker pen, so you can wipe away the lines after embossing. Cheap gelpens are good.

5. Dampen (put moist cloth on it for half a minute) the part where you want the pattern, and start embossing. I used awls of some kind (used to strike little holes in wood I suppose, bargainstore), and grinded the point flat with a Dremel. Then start tapping in your design with this “awl” and a hammer.

1314940272_d1a94ea9c5.jpg

Here you can see the result up close:

1313742887_7fd69b7d65.jpg

6. When finished, let it rest for a while, so you can see what embossed parts come back up and need some more persuasion. Wipe away pen lines.

7. Dampen again and neat out the inner and outer lines with a big blunt needle or nail.

8. Use a stitch groover (upper item) to decorate the sides. Use an edge beveller to smooth the edges.

1314940404_a1656c1857.jpg

9. On the 2 end parts that will come together with lacing, make a few holes with the little tools of which I do not know the English name (center punches it is, thanks Jedadiah). I used the smallest. The big awl is for opening up the holes just prior to lacing.

1314054875_5e9c0c92b2.jpg

10. Wrap the leather around the flask and submerge the lot in hot water for 5 seconds. Now soft and pliable, you need to hold the leather in place with some soft, broad cord. (Thin cord will cut into the leather when wet.) Let it dry for 15 minutes. Leather will still be soft enough to make lacing easier, but it will keep the form of the flask pretty well.

11. Take of the leather wrap and lace the ends together. Check for sizing between each hole. Put a small knot in the last lacing, add a drop of glue to secure it. Slide in flask and you’re done. You could wax/oil/paint/etc. the leather if you want, I left it natural.

12. Buy some nice spirit, pick a cold day as an excuse for a little "nippy sweety" an enjoy!

PS: I've got some Celtic patterns from the internet. PM me if you want them.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think the awl's you are using are actually center punch's. I like that idea, thinking outside the box as to what other uses a tool has. Top work mate, you've just given me an idea.................!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE