Hilleberg Tarp XP 10 Review

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, the Australian Hootchie is about the same weight but because of the way I rolled it up tightly, it took up less room in my pack. More recently I have started to just stuff tarps in my pack anyway though - I found that repeatedly folding a tarp in the same way causes strong creases that are less waterproof where as stuffing gives more even wear.

Both tarps are really bomb proof but (based on no testing you must understand!) I would likely give the strength advantage to the better silicone coated fabric on the Hilleberg.

The ease of setup I would actually give to the Aussie tarp because you can just get away with a guy line at each corner and a ridge line, because it's smaller, but the Hilleberg is very easy to set up and I would be tempted to use the same line locks on an Aussie tarp.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for doing the review as promised. Have always been blown away by the quality of Hilleberg and love what I've had from them. Great balanced review and comprehensive too. Wanted one for ages though as you said in your spiel cost is an issue (well for me at the moment.) Still you've stacked some extra brownie points in the favour of me saving up and getting one.

Reactions: Bob-a-job

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
A nice write up.

I bought the same tarp early last year and think it's superb. I've used it both during the summer and winter as shelter when on long walks. I've also used it over my tent during the summer to keep the sun off of it. I've very impressed by the size and strength and by how waterproof it is.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I thought I would follow up on this... I'm off to the woods next weekend and the tarp will be coming with me... again! I never leave it at home.

Did I ever make the right choice! This tarp has done it all… it has covered me in my hammock, been pitched next to my tent on family camp sites, covered wood piles with bricks to hold it down,been pitched in my garden so I can BBQ in the rain and spent weeks in the woods to give me a dry living space.

After severe frosts, blazing sun, gusting winds strong enough to fell healthy trees and rains that caused severe flooding, the tarp has truly lived up to my expectations and still looks brand new. No - Really! Brand new looking still!

The cordage is still flexible but easy to knot, the stitching is all completely secure and all the loops and attachment points show absolutely no signs of wear.

Anyone considering a tarp for 1-2 people will be utterly reliable should go out or go online and buy one this second!

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Was going to buy one the other year but was told to avoid them.
Goes to show that you should make up your own mind.
Looks like more outlay on yet more kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE