Hiking the Haute Route Pyrenees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
This summer I hiked across the high Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean on the Haute Route Pyrenees. It was an absolutely incredible experience which took about 40 days (including several rest days/additional summit days).

I wild camped most nights and carried my own food. I made a video diary of my trip which you can watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD2dxadz0dHiDn-QEuE8Etg

I'm going to put up a video about the kit that I took in the near future and am also happy to answer any questions that people may have :)

I tried to embed a few photos but it won't work for some reason, so feel free to browse them here:

http://imgur.com/a/x1jQW

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks a truly memorable trip, some great photos of it there; I'll watch the video later.......Great stuff, thanks for putting this up :)

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Loved the photos. Haven't looked at the video yet but looked an awesome trip. What is the basha/shelter that you are using?
All the best.
Russ

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks for having a look guys. My tent is a Tarptent Notch. It also comes with an inner skin made from midge netting with a silnylon floor, but I left it at home to save weight. It's an amazing tent and I've used it on loads of long hiking trips.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Looks amazing. I walked the Haute Route years ago (around 2004 I think) and I'd love to go back! I didn't walk as far as you did though...
Looking at your photos made my feet itch!

Can you copy and paste the kit list for those who can't spare 30 mins for the kit video?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Great photos! Thanks for showing them..

" Can you copy and paste the kit list for those who can't spare 30 mins for the kit video?"

I'd be interested in seeing a printed list too please, as I don't have enough Internet whatsit's monthly allowance to watch videos. :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Thanks for that, the link worked fine and a quick juggle with a conversion table and I get 30.25 LBS....That's about the main compartment not quite full on my PLCE Bergan...and before I even start to fill the side pockets...
sorry-20.GIF

Right! where's me toothbrush and hacksaw?...I WILL go lighter....
lol-030.gif

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks for that, the link worked fine and a quick juggle with a conversion table and I get 30.25 LBS....That's about the main compartment not quite full on my PLCE Bergan...and before I even start to fill the side pockets...
sorry-20.GIF

Right! where's me toothbrush and hacksaw?...I WILL go lighter....
lol-030.gif

haha! It's worth the effort if you're walking lots, or if you want a simpler set up with less time spent faffing! Having said that, when I'm just out on a quick overnighter near home, I often pack the kitchen sink :D

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Not watched it all yet, but good video. Looks a good route.

As usual though, i was more eager to see the kit list :eek:
Definetly worth cutting the weight down as much as you can, makes it far more enjoyable.

What sort of food were you carrying?

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Cheers Trig!

For food, I carried porridge and multipacks of pain au chocolats for breakfast, washed down with lashings of nutella and coffee. For lunch- salami sausage/cheese/bread, with more nutella and also snickers bars. For dinner- cous cous mixed with soup sachets and nuts. pudding was nutella...

...I ate a LOT of nutella....

To be fair, I carried too much food most of the time. I didn't during the first two weeks and consequently lost way too much weight. After that, my appetite became completely unrelenting and I ended up piling on the calories for the rest of the hike.

It's something that I need to work on. I'm just too lazy to bother looking at labels to calculate my daily calorie intake for each day. If I did, I would probably end up carrying a bit less food and saving some more weight on my back. I just love to eat on a long hike!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Well done. At 75 next birthday I've probably left it a bit late to emulate you, but I'm pleased to see that youth is not entirely wasted on the young. Your last nights camp shot just caught where I was tucked up warmly in bed on the same night by the sea. I spend a lot of time in the area and you made me homesick even though I only got back from Pyrenees-Oriental a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on your next adventures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE