Hiking rucsacs - "breathable"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
hi bushies, I do a lot of hiking htese days with my scouts and am looking to get a new bag.

I need something with a nice breathable back and the new freeflow from berghaus range looks pretty good, with a tensioned mesh keeping a good size gap between your back and the bag. They're not cheap though so I'm wondering if you guys can offer some alternatives.

I'm only interested in ones with a similar kind of back though, I've tried previous bags with a foam backing and have channels for air flow but they just don't do the trick.

ta folks

CB

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
how about going "old skool" and using an external frame rucksack?

I'm not suggesting you use an ALICE pack but I use one for the same reasons and it works very well, there are more modern versions that are really well made.

(can't for the life of me remember what it's called right now)
I have one plastic/alloy frame fully adjustable back/waist straps, the sack that came on it was trash, I consigned it to charity, but the frame is brilliant, you can pretty much strap on any size bag you like, I can carry 2 alice packs on it at the same time. or use it to carry barrels (if using a canoe).

well worth considering!;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Karrimor Airspace range are worth a look, they have a really good back system with the mesh similar to Berghaus.

I've got an older model of the 25L which they have out now, great bit of kit.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
If your after a cheap bag with that kind of ventilation, here's an £30/35l option:
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/Bags_Rucksacks/Day_Packs/sc1402/p159.aspx

I had one, my dad uses it now, and inspite of it feeling a touch cheap, it works fine. The sizes quoted are a unrealistic, though, and it has no straps on the bottom for your sleeping mat (the killer for me) though it does have a raincover. I changed it for an Osprey Atmos, and when I use it as a day pack, I sometimes wonder why I bothered.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I hope they have changed what they make the mesh out of it as I had a karrimor day bag with a rubbery feeling mesh back and the mice just loved it and ate great chunks out of it one day! I've left the holes as I couldn't think of a way of patch that wouldn't leave ridges of some sort that would cause more trouble than the holes with regards to rubbing.

To be honest I didn't find it more comfortable to use than my MacPacs without fancy ventilation.

ATB

Tom

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My hillwalking pack and my bushcraft pack are 2 very different beasts.
The Sabre for bushcraft is as tough as old boots, very rugged, but for hillwalking I use a Vaude Triset 25-4 which has a super airflow back and carries nice and securely for scaling the trick bits. I don't remember what I paid for it but think it was around £40, I would buy the same again without any hesitation.

Link to a review http://www.crowdstorm.co.uk/vaude_triset_254/p/2385/

Dave

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
CB,
I have had a freeflow for 5 or 6 years. Its a nice pack once you get used to the rigid (and curved) back, which can make packing different to a non-rigid back.
As to breatheability - I find it only really makes a difference when you don't have a lot on - say a t-shirt in summer. Once you have more on and the mesh back sits on top it really isn't a lot different to other packs, except perhaps in strong winds which force air through.
In winter on the hills it can actually be a bit chilly and I sometimes prefer to use my old Karrimor Alpiniste or Aiguille instead.

Nick

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
CB let me know if your still after a freeflow I have one thats like brand new 35 + 8 I think it is in black and grey. I have to reduce the amount of kit clogging the understairs cupboard so I am told.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I'm considering as little as 25 litre because I'm trying to force myself to take less with me!!

But in reality, 35 is about right, I've always got a bit of emergency gear in my bag, full waterproofs and first aid kit even if we're going to the shops with them!!

scrogger - sounds good, how much are you looking for?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE