Highlander Loader Holdall - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Hi there, new here. Been posting on BritishBlades for a few months.

I was wondering whether anyone can tell me about the Highlander Loader holdall.

loader_holdall_100_litre.jpg

I asked on BB and had mixed reviews of Highlander products which I see are echoed here.

Does anyone actually own one of these holdalls?

If not can anyone tell me about the quality of the zips on any Highlander gear they own. I've got a very old Highlander 99 Rucksack that was basic but did the job. I remember the zips being a bit cheap though.

Decent zips for me are a pretty fundamental part of any bag.

Cheers for any views.

BTW I've done some checking and £15 + £7 p+p seems to be the cheapest price (for the 65l).

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi guys,
I have an earlier version of This and for that price i dont think it can be beat. really heavy duty survives baggage handlers well (if anyone is a baggage handler that was not a challenge)

cheers
louis

When I was a student I could only afford a Highlander Rucksack and sleeping bag for a coast to coast walk. The rucksack weighed around 18kg loaded with gear for a multi day walk. The straps pulled off the zips failed on both the rucksack and sleeping bag.

I went to their office in Leith and they did not care one bit.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Ah well. 3 to1 against, and I decided to go for it anyway. :11doh:

It just looked a more practical design than anything else, and quite a bit cheaper.

Ended up ordering it from these guys as it was the same price (well £1 more with postage £1 cheaper) and they had some other stuff I "needed".

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I've got one if the Loader Holdalls. Had it for about 4 years. Perfectly good build quality. No problems with the zips. Good stiching. Good capacity. Has been stuffed full of kit and chucked around in aircraft holds, Land-Rovers and the back of Bedford trucks. No problems at all. I'm happy with it. Should last a good few years longer. Good value for money.

As for Highlander kit in general, it used to be pants, but has come on a good deal in the past few years.

As for their rucksacks, sure they're not as robust as, say a PLCE bergen, or a Sabre 80-130, but how many of us actually need a rucksack that you can carry over 120lbs of weight in and go to war with? Unless of course your name's McNab or Johnny Gurkha!

Yeoman

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Update

I cannot recommend AAKA Surplus (the guys I linked to in the previous post) at the present time.

I sent them my order and my money on 8th March, and I've heard nothing from them since. Their website does say to allow a maximum of 28 days for delivery, but I have emailed them and left messages on their answerphone all without response.

Other avenues of investigation have also suggested that all might not be well with the company, and so, until, and unless I'm proven incorrect, I'd have to say it might be best to avoid these guys...

If I get any more info, I'll make sure to post a further update.

Edit:

Typical. After posting a warning, what should happen... I manage to get in touch. The guy in charge seems like a nice bloke, and explained why there has been a delay, so I've said I'm happy to wait a bit longer... We shall see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE