Hi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 19, 2015
Rochdale
Hi everyone,:) I'm new to bushcraft from Rochdale Lancashire.

I love camping and spending time outdoors. I'm really keen to learn and get started and join a group near me to practice.

I am not sure where to begin or even which skill is best to learn first. So I'm just gonna mooch around and read for a while.
I grow some food where I live and have a forest garden, and get to go camping in the summer with my brother and sister, but they are not really interested in bushcraft, just the commercial camp sites and chippy tea:sigh:. My dad used to hunt when I was a child so hopefully it's in my blood. I have no kit yet, and not sure if I need to go on a course first where they have everything and let me practice...dunno? Like I say I'm a complete bushcraft newbie so feel free to correct me.

Anyway, I can't think of anything else to say so thanks for reading.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, welcome and enjoy.
Doing a course would be no bad thing. Courses are 5 days, others a weekend, they can be quite intense, but you will gain a lot of knowledge that you can put into practice in your own time.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Welcome to this forum too. I have replied more fully elsewhere. I don't recomend a course to start with, they are an expensive way to find out if you like this stuff. As for kit: many of the mini-groups (groups within groups) have a buddy-bag. A collection of kit put together so that newbies, such as yourself, don't have to buy kit to go out and give it a try. If you find you love it you can buy the kit and go on the courses. You will find that there are plenty of knowledgable people sitting around most campfires you will go to organised by these groups.

You didn't mention Rochdale in your other post. Lancashire seems to be one of the least active counties for bushcraft, I (and others) have tried to get things going in our area and failed. Plenty going on elsewhere though, if you don't mind travelling.

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
Welcome! Don't stress about courses etc. Read this forum, Wat h youtube videos and ask questions. I've learned a lot from the above mentioned and not paid a penny except the gear I've bought. And yes, ice bought plenty of the wrong gear, but that's the best part... LEARNING!

Sep 19, 2015
Rochdale
Thanks everyone.
I don't know why I have 2 threads on my intro, I guess it's because I double clicked but must have changed the title. Sorry.

Anyway, I have been checking out the bushcraft courses and they are pricey!
I found one in south wales wild camping site for a fraction of the cost, and may try when the site re-opens, but for now, it's watch, read and learn and ask...

Then practice practice practice

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE