Hi From Lanarkshire, Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello.

I'm up in Lanarkshire, and happily we have some excellent woods and desolate areas up around these parts. I'm reasonably experienced in hacking around out of doors, although no where near the same league as a lot of the posters on this site, and happy to hook up with anyone else up this way who is into the bushcraft scene. Alwaysup for trading ideas and knowledge.

Stay safe :)

Billy

Hi Billy welcome,
I am new to the site myself just joined last week. i am also from lanarkshire (newmains) what area are you from? just starting out in the bushcraft world. Do you do any bushcraft in my are?
Nightmair

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Thanks lads :)

Nightmair, I'm not far from you at all then! I do a little around the area as I begin to have more time on my hands, lately just brushing up on all the skills I picked up when in the military on yet another night on Dartmoor or Fort William or wherever, as I want my kids to get into the outdoors as they get older the same as I did when I was younger.

Usual areas for me are around the Leadhills, as well as the treeline from Hamilton to Larkhall. You can go days without seeing a soul. Or, if you want to play it another way, a soul seeing you...

I plan on doing further north winter of this year as the time allows.

I'm in the middle of upgrading/renewing a lot of my kit right now - I lived abroad for 2 years where it was a very different kind of climate hence different kit needed - so looking forward to reading the reviews posted on the site.

Hows about you, doing much in the area?

Hi Billy, Sorry to take so long to answer you. Just back from a stag doo up at Allantons (hanging out my **** m8)Like yourself I am a military man, but still serving with the Royal marine reserves. Now coming to the end of my military career and i am hoping to have more time on my hands ( with wifes permission of course) I dont no much myself about bushcraft & survival would like to pick up some skills and techniques on the basics as i f##king hated it in the military just starved for a week or so. froze like a smotter during the day ligth hours, waited for the night to arrive along with the rain , hail and what ever esle god could muster up for entertainment value and then got beasted all the way to the next R.v. and also not to mention not learning a f##k@@g thing apart from how to be miserable.
i have took my boys to chaterault country park for years and camp over night during their summer holidays. Its been a great place for themand myself but i hear the park rangers can be a bit funny with campers thou, never had any problems myself. just clean up after yourself and bob your uncle.
Give me a shout any time. i may take a couple of days to answer but i will get there.
regards
Nightmair

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Hello all,

I figured it was high time I join the forum properly and stop lurking, I just been given access to 8 acres of private Oak and Beech woods with a trout stream over here in Northern France and could do with learning more on how best to enjoy the time spent there so will be browsing the threads to brush up.

All the best
Toby

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Hello all,

I figured it was high time I join the forum properly and stop lurking, I just been given access to 8 acres of private Oak and Beech woods with a trout stream over here in Northern France and could do with learning more on how best to enjoy the time spent there so will be browsing the threads to brush up.

All the best
Toby

Whoops, sorry about that must have pushed the wrong button:banghead:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Hi Billy, Sorry to take so long to answer you. Just back from a stag doo up at Allantons (hanging out my **** m8)Like yourself I am a military man, but still serving with the Royal marine reserves. Now coming to the end of my military career and i am hoping to have more time on my hands ( with wifes permission of course) I dont no much myself about bushcraft & survival would like to pick up some skills and techniques on the basics as i f##king hated it in the military just starved for a week or so. froze like a smotter during the day ligth hours, waited for the night to arrive along with the rain , hail and what ever esle god could muster up for entertainment value and then got beasted all the way to the next R.v. and also not to mention not learning a f##k@@g thing apart from how to be miserable.
i have took my boys to chaterault country park for years and camp over night during their summer holidays. Its been a great place for themand myself but i hear the park rangers can be a bit funny with campers thou, never had any problems myself. just clean up after yourself and bob your uncle.
Give me a shout any time. i may take a couple of days to answer but i will get there.
regards
Nightmair

Ah, memories of starving like mad on dartmoor as well...although in my time some of the kinder hearted locals used to plant bags of pasta under rocks etc for us poor sods to find. I guess though the staff clamped down on that practice as time went on. Had to happen I suppose!

I was lucky enough in that my Uncle was an ex RM and as I was growing up, a gamekeeper through in Stirling, so I had some knowledge passed on from him before getting onto exercise. I could at least skin a rabbit etc without puncturing the guts or bringing mine back up. Happy times though. I still miss the military, although I know as time has passed I've forgoton some of the really poor parts and just kept the good parts filed away.

Regards Chatlerault, I've heard the same, but I've never had any problems at all. I think though thats maybe more to do with that I tend to favour the fringes of the park, and keep myself out the way as much as I can. I favour the low impact approach, as well as semi concealment. Nothing over the top, just some scrim net over the basha to break it up. I feel the guys who get short shrift are the football top wearing, staffordshire bull terrier owning buckfast drinking types whom the summer brings out and whom have been to go outdoors on a spending spree. Chuck a 200 watt boom box into the mix, add litter, and, well, I can see how the ranger lads get a bit miffed.

Good news about the woodland down there as well is that it's teeming with edible plants and fungi. Loads of the trees have Jews ear etc growing on them. I always take food, but if you want to be hardcore about it, you'd manage fine.

Let me know if you want to get together and have a chat abot kit etc, as I said, being a Newmains dweller as well, be silly not to, and I'm in the middle of spending some cash upgrading and replacing mine ready for the next 20 years of service.

Oh, and just incase you're concerned the username points to some knife wielding oddball (as wifey pointed out, it could be construed that way) I'm not, honest. As much as I like and appreciate edged tools, the blade part comes from the fact I was a chopper pilot in a previous life, so we're talking a different kind of 'blade here. No worrying tendancies.

Take care, and stay safe, and get two ibuprofen (arcoxia is better if you have it) down you for the hangover!

Billy.

Hi Billy, cheers for the quick reply m8. Wont be get back until tomorrow, but that would be good if we could meet up for a chat about kit. I feel where i am at my weakest is edible plants and fungi. On the blade comment m8 dont worry i have been teaching unarmed combat for 20yrs plus and i have met a few nut jobs along the way, probible like yourself over the years.
My knifes have been military/close combat orintated until now ( busse various,sog,f/s daggers,rtak,v42) and loads more, two many to mention. I just got a Chris Caine survival tool not had a chance to try it out yet. what knifes do you use for survival/bushcraft?
I like ma scan m8 so i usually take rations out myself and a wee drink to help me through the night lol.
What are you up grading at the moment?
I stay very close to to braedale hill, what about you?
How do you want to go about meeting up?
Regards
nightmair

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Hi Billy, cheers for the quick reply m8. Wont be get back until tomorrow, but that would be good if we could meet up for a chat about kit. I feel where i am at my weakest is edible plants and fungi. On the blade comment m8 dont worry i have been teaching unarmed combat for 20yrs plus and i have met a few nut jobs along the way, probible like yourself over the years.
My knifes have been military/close combat orintated until now ( busse various,sog,f/s daggers,rtak,v42) and loads more, two many to mention. I just got a Chris Caine survival tool not had a chance to try it out yet. what knifes do you use for survival/bushcraft?
I like ma scan m8 so i usually take rations out myself and a wee drink to help me through the night lol.
What are you up grading at the moment?
I stay very close to to braedale hill, what about you?
How do you want to go about meeting up?
Regards
nightmair

Aye, I've met a few dafties along the road of life indeed. With the UC thing, thats interesting, I've been around that scene since I was in single figures, so you never know, we may have met up against each other in a tournament in the past! Small world and all that.

I try and take it a bit easier these days though as a head hit and a knockout, well, the CAA would quickly pull my medical if I suffered a knockout. Saying that I have a treadmill, punchbag etc in my garage, so still use that for exercise/moves. Also looking at getting back into Judo (the very first martial art I got into when I was 7) so funny how it all goes full circle.

Not sure where Braedale hill is, I'm an incomer to Newmains, but I usually grab a beer at the Newhouse, just along at Peggy Whites service station. Know it?

With the Chris Caine tool, looks like a fantastic piece of kit, I'd just be paranoid about damaging it or so when out and about. I had the old wilkinson sword knife, pre dartmoor variant (remember that one?) and sold it for pretty much that reason. So, going to order a Condor Bushlore now they've sorted the design and probably a Condor Golok machete to replace them with. Last few times I've been out, I've coped pretty well with a victorinox swiss army for doing firesticks/food prep with and a junglee sahara 4" folder for chopping down bigger branches. Use the batoning technique, and it's coped fine, no damage to the blade.

Interestingly, the swiss army knife was a freeby from work, and the Junglee was a £15 purchase, yet I've managed days on end with just those though. I guess I just fancy some new toys and an excuse to spend some money.

Drop me a PM when you're back mate, we'll sort something.

Billy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE