Hi all put the kettle on

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone hope you're all well,
I'm planning to change my life in the next six months. I'm giving up my house and going to live in a tent. I plan to travel around the UK first then who knows where I could end up, would love to see Alaska. Just me and my dog, open spaces, fresh air and beautiful wildlife. My family think I've completely lost touch with reality but this is the path I have chosen and what I really want is to simplify my life. I want to prove I can live without things like TV, running water, central heating and all the unnecessary codswallop we seem to accumulate.
This comes from an epiphany a few people in my life dying young and realizing that life is too short to deny your dreams. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am an experienced camper but this is taking things a little further.:coffee:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Hello and welcome to the forum Katchup.
I for one appreciate where your head's at, for next month is the anniversary of my first heart attack..and I'm 47.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hello and Welcome. I hope you get to realise your dreams.

We all feel like living this existence from time to time, trouble is, it's Bloody hard going. You will need a back up plan for the less hospitable times of the year..ie...From September to June.. :lmao:

Same age as myself Bishop.
Lost my Dad to an unexpected sudden heart attack. Last year lost a friend aged 44 the same way but at least he was living his dream in Norway. We're here for a good time not a long time, dedicated to squeezing every drop out of whatever life I have left!

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Hello and welcome.
Try looking on expedition forums as well may give you another view on what you are embarking on. Done a couple of expeditions in my Landrover you need more than you think.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK. :)

Well I'm with you on the TV thing, I threw that out in 1974. Don't know how I ever had time to look at it.

But do make sure that your new lifestyle doesn't end up making your new life a very short one!

I'm 62. I've camped everywhere from snowy mountains to burning desert in all the weather that this beautiful planet can throw at us, and I still do.
In the winter of 2001-2 (I think it was) I spent three months in a caravan in Amsterdam at an average of about -15C.
In 2013 I spent September to December in a couple of fields in Gloucestershire, looking after the badgers. AFAICT it rained every day.
I don't think I know anyone who's spent more time than I have under canvas and in other temporary accommodation like caravans.
At least half of my life - literally over thirty years. So I think I know what I'm talking about.

My take on it is that in the UK, what you're planning isn't feasible - not all year round. It probably isn't even legal.

In Alaska it's even less feasible; think big brown bears, and -40C. And you might have trouble with the dog.

How are you going to deal with all the waste? What happens when you're ill? Where will you find a vet?

You say you're an experienced camper, so by all means have a go. But I wouldn't even attempt what you're planning in Cyprus.

Anyway please let us know how you get on.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welcome,

your life style change has come up in the past, I'll wish you good luck but you may not get replies that you'll be happy with so don't expect total support off everyone.

cleargreenlight

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
Redditch
Every day I have a sudden realization of how short life is; and still do nothing about it. So I'm rooting for you; but don't be afraid to adjust your vision as other opportunities crop up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE