Hex Fly / Tarp Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
If there was the demand but I think that will be unlikely for a while. I am looking at a 4 x 3m tarp that would be slightly cheaper but I need to get one to try to make sure it is up to the job before I go recommending it and trying to get a bulk deal.

I have replied to your PM separately.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Hmmmmmmmm 3 x 4 you say! ;)

I assume this is a 'square' tarp......

I'm interested if you want an idea of the interest... :D

MagiKelly said:
If there was the demand but I think that will be unlikely for a while. I am looking at a 4 x 3m tarp that would be slightly cheaper but I need to get one to try to make sure it is up to the job before I go recommending it and trying to get a bulk deal.

I have replied to your PM separately.

MagiKelly

g4ghb said:
Hmmmmmmmm 3 x 4 you say! ;)

I assume this is a 'square' tarp......

I'm interested if you want an idea of the interest... :D

I have heard that the 3 x 4m one was not that robust. I am now trying 3 x 3m ones that are either cotton or poly. These seem to be really strongly made but I think this will have to wait till after the latest Hammock Group buy and the insect netting group buy :rolleyes:

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
MagiKelly said:
...I am now trying 3 x 3m ones that are either cotton or poly. These seem to be really strongly made...

For once, I think I'll pass. I just picked up a 3x3 Tatonka cotton tarp from Andrew at Outdoorcode. Not cheap but very robust.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
MagiKelly said:
I have heard that the 3 x 4m one was not that robust. I am now trying 3 x 3m ones that are either cotton or poly. These seem to be really strongly made but I think this will have to wait till after the latest Hammock Group buy and the insect netting group buy :rolleyes:

cheers John - I was not hinting that you SHOULD do another order now - I think it is Very wise to get one over before you start again!!!!

I had read it that you were wondering if there was a interest so felt it my duty to reply! :eek: ;)

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Lurch said:
Is that the Tarp 2 model?

Looking at those myself at the mo. How well does it pack down?

That's the chap.
I've got the cotton one which comes in at 1.3 kg rather than 800 grams.
It packed into a nice little bag, but it was cleverly folded and folded to fit in there!
On measuring it, it looks about 12 inches by 7 by 4, but would probably squoosh down a bit more.

I'd *probably* go for the poly one next time. I'd even more likely go for anothe hex-fly.
[As it happens, with a hex fly, a 3x3 tarp and a hootchie, I probably have enought to be going on with :rolleyes:]

MagiKelly

Lurch said:
Oooo, well then I might just hold off then.
I don't anticipate needing one for a wee while anyway.
What benefit the hex? It's a good bit of extra moolah!

The Hex packs much smaller and I think is lighter but I have to double check that. The quoted weights seem similar but given the size difference i have my doubts.. Also the Hex may give more coverage for hammock use but that depends on how I get on using the 3 x 3m on the diagonal.

As to cost there is not that big a difference. Well there was not on the Group Buy as the Hex was £40 but I suppose at full price there is.

I still do not know what sort of discount etc I can achieve so if you need a tarp then it may be best to just buy it. I started looking at the Tatonka as I liked the idea of a cotton one and using a canoe weight is not so much of an issue. these might appeal to members of Song of the Paddle which would give a chance of better numbers and therefore more discount but we will see.

MagiKelly

As an update it now looks like the new tarp group buy thread will start early next week. It will be for the Tatonka 3 x 3m tarps, either cotton or poly. The actual tarps will be the same price but the postage will make the cotton one more expensive to your door.

All I am waiting for is confirmation of the prices and also at the weekend i hope to get out and take some pictures of the tarps set up etc. With regard to the pricing I have told the supplier that I would expect about 10 + to be ordered so that is what the discount is being based on.

Edit

I am expecting some of the interest to be from Song of the Paddle as the cotton ones may appeal more to paddlers where weight is not an issue. This is the reason I am running the buy earlier than I originally thought. There has not been a group buy for tarps on SotP so the potential demand has not been reduces by the Hex Fly buy.

Oh and once this latest batch of group buys are over I plan to take a break from them for a while before it seems like I am becoming a dealer :rolleyes:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
MagiKelly said:
As an update it now looks like the new tarp group buy thread will start early next week. It will be for the Tatonka 3 x 3m tarps, either cotton or poly. The actual tarps will be the same price but the postage will make the cotton one more expensive to your door.

Do you know what the weight of these tarps is?

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
MagiKelly said:
Depending on what label you read the Poly one is either 0.8 kg or 0.9 kg. The cotton one is 1.3 kg. what I can tell you is the Poly one is 50 grams heavier than a Hex Fly. I have taken some pictures today and should be posting the thread tonight.

Thanks John

Now its decision time. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE