Here's some Yacon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've just harvested our Yacon and it's really quite impressive, these tubers are a foot or more long and then there was lots of smaller ones attached as well.

We've already had it in curry and salad and the closest thing I can think of is very mild radish ....Good stuff...

DSC01758.jpg

DSC01759.jpg...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great stuff that Tony - well done! Did you try some raw? I find its really very like the flesh of the pear (it used to be known as a ground pear). I have wondered if I could poach it in brandy syrup :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
yeah, raw was the first tasting, i can't say it was pear like, a bit too dry but maybe when we cut into the big root it will be more like that, it was slightly fibrous like a radish, tasty though and wopping :D

A question, for next year what the process for replanting, do we need to just keep some of the smaller ones back, clean them off and keep them dry and plant them, or is there a specific process?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What you have there are storage tubers Tone - they won't regrow.

There are growth tubers around the base of the crown

Yacon Crown by British Red, on Flickr

They are the red, small round bumps here is a close up

Yacon Start by British Red, on Flickr

You will have to cut these free with a sharp knife. plant them in a 2 litre pot full of compost and keep in a frost free place until Spring

Yacon plant by British Red, on Flickr

They can take a while to start growing in Spring so be patient.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
cool, thanks for that, I just shoed Shelly and she's already got the right bit stored away, just didn't know about the putting in compost now :D

She probably knows this but does one growth tuber generate the start of one plant in the future? So if we want 6 plants it's 6 growth tubers...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
just that Tony - one tuber per plant. I sometimes shove more than one on a pot so that if one doesn't grow, there will still be a plant - its easy enough to thin them out later.

You don't have to keep them in compost - just cool, dark and frost free, but I figure in a pot of compost in an unheated greenhouse or shed is a good way to do it. If it gets very cold, wrap the pot up in straw or whatever to stop it freezing through.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wait until two weeks after the top growth has been frost killed for that - could be into next year if the Winter keeps mild

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I tend to keep the whole base of the crown, all the growing tips, together and leave in a pot of moist, but not wet, compost in a frost and pest free location. Then in early spring divide up and keep the best ones for planting or sending on. It saves room that way.

As for the tubers, grated raw in a coleslaw is interesting. I've found the best use in stir-fries.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Bumping and old thread...

Has anyone else grown yacon this year? I'd like some more ideas for uses as it's so easy to grow.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
No, not grown any since that batch 3 years ago, it was good though so well worth the effort. I don't know if Hugh is still growing it, he's not been on for a while, I miss his font of knowledge...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE