Help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
damaged my Bark River Highland's handle at the weekend with a bit of over-enthusiastic battening (knocked one of the scales sideways and bent the hollow rivets)

what should I do? I'm thinking either knock them both off, drill out the old rivets and re-glue with solid pins.... or maybe make new scales out of some nice wood?

anyone interested in a pair of Bark River black canvas micarta scales if I go for the second option?

I've not attempted anything like this before... :confused:

Dom.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
This is completely covered by the BRKT warrenty. They heve the best warrenty (imo) in the entire knife industry. Just talk to Mike Stewart and he'll tell you that it is covered.

Michiel

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
They might have the best warranty, but they are not the fastest gun in the West. I think you would be better off just fixing it yourself. Solid pins and a decent glue are going to be the easiest way. I have had stuff at BRKT for over 3 months and I had to badger them constantly to get it sent out, a real pain in the bum.

Isshogai

Nov 7, 2004
Wakefield West Yorkshire
It's not as difficult as you probably think, Dom :)

I think the BRKT's scales are epoxied and pinned.

Put a pan of water on to boil. Wrap the blade in masking tape and then lay the handle end of the knife in the pan of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Remove the knife from the pan carefully! The heat will break down the epoxy and enable you to remove the scales from the knife and the pins from the scales.

Any questions let me know.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE