Help with frame saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
I've just spent 2 days making Paul Sellers' frame saw (he's really good and has an excellent YouTube channel, but I digress), however, when I've started to use it I have found it tracks to the right when sawing. I've ensured that the frame/blade are not twisted, the blade is new, and the blade sits square in the two slots at either end.

Has anyone else had this problem with a frame saw before? If so, did you manage to fix the problem?

I thought it may be my sawing action, however if I turn the saw around it tracks to the left.

Yours hopingly

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
If you turn the blade around in the saw and try cutting again holding the same end of the saw as before it might help tell whether it's the set of the teeth on the blade (it will then wander to the left), or something to do with the saw or your technique (it will still wander to the right).

I think that makes sense anyway, might be wrong though ! :)

Cheers, Paul

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Going by what you've posted you've got a duff blade; sounds like the set is wrong or non-existent on one side of it.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Cheers guys, I'll try the turning the blade thing just to check, but it looks like the blade. Guess I'll have to get a better blade and make a new one (it was a good project so I'm not too fussed)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Is the blade of the hardpoint variety or a re-sharpenable one?
If the latter then the teeth can be re-set. Sighting down the blade, from one end to the other, should show a 'V' formation, worth taking a look at the blades before purchase if possible.

Rob.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Cheers guys, I'll try the turning the blade thing just to check, but it looks like the blade. Guess I'll have to get a better blade and make a new one (it was a good project so I'm not too fussed)

Why the need to make another one? A new blade is all that's required, or am I missing something here? :)

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Here's the saw, and the typical cut (if you can make it out)

41a81476bd2ab9c099ff7fb494e16844.jpg

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I would have thought the blades would be a standard length from various manufacturers

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
If I buy the same blade then I run the risk of the same problem, if I get a different blade then the chances of the two holes being exactly the same width apart would be quite slim.

Fraxinus, the site I got it from doesn't state if it was hard point or otherwise

http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Frame-Saw-Blade-430mm.html#SID=452

I suspect it is but I'll do some research

The blade holes will be exactly the same width apart, they are made on a machine and to be so. Even if they weren't, the frame saw design allows for flexibility and any small difference will be taken up by the tightening action.

Did you try turning the blade around ? Sorry, just looked at the link to the blade and it's a "normal" type tooth pattern so won't work of course if reversed. I thought it was a bow saw type blade.

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
The blades vary in length, they can run from 300mm-600mm. There isn't that much room on the saw as there is only abut 10mm either side of the pins, and the central tenons, although shallow, would only allow so much movement for a longer blade.

I've had a look around and have seen a few alternatives. Interestingly the frame saw made by the same manufacturer of the blade uses a longer blade than this one!

I may go bigger and get a thicker, user servicable blade that can be sharpened. Or something like the Japanese blade here

http://www.fine-tools.com/gestell.html

I'm going to play with the tenon joint shoulders to see if this affects the cut, if not then this will serve as prototype v1, and go bigger.

I've really enjoyed making this and recommend the video link above to anyone who fancies a winter escape plan from strictly.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE