Help With Basket Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester
Hya.

I want to make my own bread proofing basket (Brotform or Banneton).

I've had a look on google but can't find any instructions or guides. I wonder does anyone have experience of basket making that could help? It would you start with a wooden mould. You then take softened reeds or canes and create the basket in what looks like one long coil. The ridges leave marks in the finished bread.

I need to know what materials to use. I don't think any adhesive is used, I think you just pin the cane into place every few inches. I also need to know what type of cane would be best to use.

Here's a link to the type of thing I'm after:

http://www.breadexperience.com/proofing-basket.html

Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't made one, but......I suspect that the stuff you're looking for it rattan. Peeled rattan to be specific. There are several suppliers in the UK, but it doesn't come cheap.
It's fairly easy to work though; it just needs soaked and then it'll bend like willow.
It shouldn't need a mould to coil it to shape.

Normally we'd 'stitch' a coiled basket; far more robust; but if those ones are made in the far east then they often pin heavy cane work together with, not panel pins exactly, but fine thin bluetack like pins. That is the best description I can give. Basically they're only needed to hold the coils in place, but they mustn't split them as they're hammered in.

Might be worthwhile asking some of the cane suppliers if they have any more information on using rattan like that.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bamboo has nodules that stick out where the leaves grow up the stem (think of garden canes) while rattan is processed from a palm tree and gives long lengths without any leaf joints.

"Cane and Rattan originate from the Rattan Palm (Rotan) which resembles a long vine like plant that grows throughout tropical regions of South East Asia. The Rattan Palm is typically harvested and processed into a more refined material before being exported to the U.K.

from this site
http://www.willowgrowers.co.uk/cat/11/cane-rattan?gclid=CJy50v7JqLQCFcjKtAodXj8ANA

Cane doesn't mean simply bamboo, and that coiled basket appears to be made from one long length. It surprises most people just what a length of material is needed to make a coiled basket. Only rattan will give that smooth rounded length, of sufficient thickness, in one piece.

A floured terracotta dish or pot (even plant pots :) ) work very well for bread too, and can give a similar effect on the loaf.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That basket has scarfed joints from the image in the photo....pinning would hold it. Not easy to do neatly when not bound though......and willow tapers along it's length, unlike rattan.

I know I'm being insistant about this, but too often what is supposedly willow, or cane, is rattan. It's simply that willow and cane are familiar terms to us.
Rattan rods sold in the UK come up to maybe 3m long, though they are produced much longer, but the thick stuff isn't coiled for transport in the same way that is usual for the centre cane for basketmaking and chair seating.

If you have a stapler that will fire the long staples then that might work for this kind of coiled basketry. Easier than setting pins :)

cheers,
Toddy

Dec 19, 2012
Manchester
Some handy advice coming up here....THANKS!!

So what I need now is a list of suppliers of canes, and some tips on soaking/shaping?

I'd like to be able to go & buy the canes in person, thus avoiding the postage fees, but I'm struggling to find any in the Manchester area : (

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Some handy advice coming up here....THANKS!!

So what I need now is a list of suppliers of canes, and some tips on soaking/shaping?

I'd like to be able to go & buy the canes in person, thus avoiding the postage fees, but I'm struggling to find any in the Manchester area : (

Fred Aldous Ltd
37 Lever Street,
Manchester,
M1 1LW

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk ?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester
OK, so we seem to be getting there gradually. Anyone have any experience of the more powerful staplers or small air nailguns that can be used rather than hammer & panel pins?

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE