Help to identify a meth type twin mini fry pan cook set.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
Need help to identifie a meth type mini fry pan cook set.

Pics took this morning excuse the bacon, I picked this kit up from a boot sale and would like another set only I can't find it online anywhere.

A name of the set or a link to where to buy would be nice.

Thanks.

2nsp6ja.jpg

30t5ldw.jpg

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Looks more like a food warmer then a stove. but if it works then great!
Alan
Try a cook shop they prob have them

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They come up on ebay, look at chaffing dish, food warmer, table top cooker etc, they go for a few quid. I like the Lidl Trangia clone in the photo, good bit of kit.

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
Looks like a chaffing dish to me bud. Looks like a nice find though.

My first thought was a chaffing set, but it is not it is meth fuel cook set which was a bonus after I opened it, it cooks as good as any cook set I have only on a smaller scale.
The box it came in offers nothing more than "Grill gourmet" wording on it.

29ld1so.jpg

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
These look like the burner on a fondue set we used to have While they may not be as transportable as a Trangia our one has a 'flame adjuster' where you move the handle left/right to open/close some holes that adjsut the falme, which may be useful for controlling the cooking time. It's probably the same idea as the Trangia simmer ring but I have not seen one of those so do not know wfor sure. You would need a pot stand or windshield to use them in the field presumeably.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are spirit burners and the pans are for making individual rosti, omelettes or pancakes.
I'm sure that was a Lidl or Aldi kind of place set :dunno:
I have the spirit burners and they're good, but they don't seal like the trangia or tatonka ones do, so you need to burn off all the meths each time.

cheers,
Toddy

Nika

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
Ahem
thats going to be of little use whatsoever outdoors is it?
Abigails party springs to mind
Oh yeah and England 0 Algeria 0
lol

Well it is outdoors in that pic cooking bacon well enough.
Spammer springs to mind.

Yes Toddy they are good did a steak no problem, as for the burning off the meths the more I use it the more I will know the amount of meths to burn time.

I tried Lidl today no joy, still looking.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I dumped the stove but kept the little pans, I took off the handles and use a Trangia pot lifter with them.

HFC

May 24, 2007
Savernake
Picked up a boxed set in a charity shop yesterday, and curious about them, tried googling to find that they've already been discussed here and I missed the thread.

I've played around a lot (too much) with home-built stoves so thought I'd see how the Grill Gourmet behaves.
I have a standard measure (25cc) of fuel (blue meths), and I always use the same unlidded Snow Peak Titanium Bowl (yes I know that's not going to help an uber-fast boil time, but it's what I really use in the field - and at home for porage!). Pot stands vary according to whatever stove I'm using, and as my test area is fairly draught free I don't use a windshield unless I'm trying to see what benefits keeping the heat from going sideways are - some of my designs have had very weak flames which are easily blown away and others where the flames come out an an angle.

I use 250cc cold tap water, again a reflection of my real field use rather than a set up for boil time races.

Biggest surprise was how long the 25cc kept burning - with the holes fully open I got 25 minutes of burn. By 20 minutes I had a steady bubbling boil which then kept going for the next 5 minutes without ever getting into a rolling, fierce boil.

I wouldn't want to take this as my main stove, but for gentle frying or warming up a rat pack pouch it'll work.

Down sides are that there's no way to empty out the unburnt fuel, and no way to seal up the stove - so you'ld have to zip-lock it and then keep it level. It's not well made. The long arm on the flame adjuster gets in the way of some potstands (I chopped mine) .

For the intended purpose - table top social cooking at Abigail's Party - it's actually rather well designed. The heat is well regulated, longlasting from a single (partial) fill, and the rack assembly keeps the heat away from table top.

But not for backpacking - even a hexi is better

HFC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE