Help me I.D this tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
Hi I've been working on my flora I.D, so decided to head into my local woods to I.D some of my favourite trees from my childhood. I identified the majority but couldn't find this one.

ehetyga8.jpg

ugu2epy8.jpg

y4e4edyv.jpg

a4uqehyj.jpg

Any help? On the first picture the leaves looked a lot paler than they come across in the pic.
Thanks in advance.
Reece

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Willow, but looking at it again, it's an osier willow of some variety.
I'm fond of willows, they grow all over the place around here.

atb,
M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Certainly a willow. From the leaves, either white willow of crack willow. There is an easy way to tell the difference. Take a small twig, and bend it back against the stem that it is growing from. If it snaps off cleanly it is crack willow. If it snaps but doesn't come away cleanly, or only partially breaks, it is white willow.

There are more strictly accurate tests, but that is good one without being too technical.

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
Thanks :) It's great walking about trying to identify trees, it gives you a different way of looking at the woods around you. Nice to put a name to trees I used to climb :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reece

Oct 27, 2011
Preston
Certainly a willow. From the leaves, either white willow of crack willow. There is an easy way to tell the difference. Take a small twig, and bend it back against the stem that it is growing from. If it snaps off cleanly it is crack willow. If it snaps but doesn't come away cleanly, or only partially breaks, it is white willow.

There are more strictly accurate tests, but that is good one without being too technical.

I'll have to try this tomorrow and report back

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
leaves of white willow have a covering of fine white hairs on the underside, crack willow leaves do not. Some trees are called 'white' beacuse the leaves seem to change cololur to a 'whitish' colour when they sway in the wind, thats how white willow got its name. white poplar is another that does that.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
leaves of white willow have a covering of fine white hairs on the underside, crack willow leaves do not. Some trees are called 'white' beacuse the leaves seem to change cololur to a 'whitish' colour when they sway in the wind, thats how white willow got its name. white poplar is another that does that.

Yep, that's one of the more accurate ways I mentioned, but the twig-snap trick is always fun to try :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE