Help me find a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I've been doing some searching on the web, trying to find a particular style of knife, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Maybe some of you sharps fans can help me out?

I have the BRKT Northstar - it's close to what I'm looking for but the blade is a little short and since I have a 1st production run I'm not keen on losing it in the field... :)

I want a drop point knife, ideally no finger guard or finger grips on the handle, blade length 5", depth no more than 1", width 3-4mm. Must be stainless with a stabilised handle material (must be easy to clean of bood and guts and not slippery when wet).

Although this could be made custom afterwards I suppose, the sheath should be a dangler style.

Intended use is gutting game, specifically the gralloching of deer. Grind needs to be for cutting skin/meat, not wood... :)

Anyone got any suggestions for an off-the-shelf product? I'm not looking for a custom made item at present as this would be a utility item not a collection piece.

I've looked at BRKT, Colombia River, Cold Steel, Gerber, Buck... Can't find what I'm looking for...

Does it even exist? :)

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I could make you a blade out of O1 tool steel and to your spec,
I also have a range of blades made from 6A & 8A stainless.
pm me if your interested

Regards

Ian

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm not looking for a custom made item at present as this would be a utility item not a collection piece.

Just out of curiousity why do you say a custom made would be a collection item? Loads of people have custom made knives and use them. British Red is a prime example of this. He has a superb knife that a lot of people would have made a drawer queen, but he uses and uses it heavily.

.....Does it even exist? :)

Yes.... in your mind at the moment, you know pretty precisely what you want so speak to a few of the makers like Elma, Sc_Barker, Bernie Garland to name a few and see what they say. That way you'll be getting exactly what you want and not having to compromise in some way with a commercially made blade.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Check out the Helle range,dame fine knives and good prices too!
Great users,use a good steel mix and hold and keep a fine edge.
Hope this helps.
Chris.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Thanks for the replies guys - I'll check out the links today and see if I can find what I'm looking for.

Mesquite - the main reason I'm staying away from a custom piece is price; generally a maker can't come up with a unique piece and be able to sell it at the same price as a commercial piece. When an item goes into commercial production, the overheads of initial design and handworking the prototypes are lost into the size of the production runs so that the item becomes cheaper. Since I'd be taking this item into the field on stalks, where it's possible that it would get dropped and lost, I wouldn't want to spend large amounts of cash on it.

Keep up the suggestions guys - hopefully between us we'll find what I'm looking for!

oh i dunno i can make a knife that works for £5
this im assuming was originally designed for Skinning large game but its Carbon steel and a bit bigger than you want
11052009030.jpg

but yes Production can bring down over heads and give bulk buy savings BUT they have massive over heads so need a large number of sales to split it by
most of the part time makers here do sell very cheaply ( for the craftsmanship compared to the Pros ) so cover materials and a bit over but not over heads etc so you can get a hand made piece for less than a production piece

if you dont want to be worryed about loosing it then you also shouldnt be worried about a little rust so carbon might be an option

or just look at the Vitorinox or Mora range of catering knives cheap and dishwasher proof and bright colours so you cant loose it

ATB

Duncan

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
unless you are a maker who doesn't like making duplicates. I would be more inclinde to put a higher price on a run of the same design purely because I would go out of my tiny mind! ;)

I've never had a problem keeping blood/guts off my carbon steel blade and natural wood handle? Also real wood doesn't get slippy like stabilised stuff does.

I like character not shiny mass produced stuff, but that's just me :D

unless you are a maker who doesn't like making duplicates. I would be more inclinde to put a higher price on a run of the same design purely because I would go out of my tiny mind! ;)

I've never had a problem keeping blood/guts off my carbon steel blade and natural wood handle? Also real wood doesn't get slippy like stabilised stuff does.

I like character not shiny mass produced stuff, but that's just me :D

ah but your over heads dont reduce massively unless you Have a CNC Smith 2000 :D :D that can run 200 blades an hour 24/7

ATB

Duncan

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Eka W11, 111 mm (4½") blade in 12c27?
hz248911_01-large.jpg

Eka A10, 100mm (4") blade in 12C27?
a10.jpg

Enzo Trapper 95 mm (37/8") in D2?
2023n.jpg

None of these are very expensive. I don't think I have ever had a problem with blood and guts and fish slime on wood handles. Have anybody? Knives slippery when wet has never been a problem either. As long as the handle is large enough it is no problem.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For your specific needs I would take a look at the Grohmann range. Canadian made and very good. For a drop point their standard skinner wont suit - but the large skinner or other models will. They have an unusual appearance but are very comfortable in use and are designed for game work.

They do stainless and carbon variants. As for handle mine is Rosewood but that won't suit. I don't know if they do an impervious model (they do buffalo for example) but they do sell bare blades and any of the knife makers here could put stabalised wood or micarta on for you

Hope that helps

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ooh, forgot the Enzo. There is a longer bladed version, I think it is called Camper. That may fit the bill, not sure if it comes in various grinds though.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Eka W11, 111 mm (4½") blade in 12c27?
hz248911_01-large.jpg

Eka A10, 100mm (4") blade in 12C27?
a10.jpg

Enzo Trapper 95 mm (37/8") in D2?
2023n.jpg

None of these are very expensive. I don't think I have ever had a problem with blood and guts and fish slime on wood handles. Have anybody? Knives slippery when wet has never been a problem either. As long as the handle is large enough it is no problem.

Me likey very much... :red:
Especially the W11, I might have to drop some hints for my birthday... :D

Karl

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
For your specific needs I would take a look at the Grohmann range. Canadian made and very good. For a drop point their standard skinner wont suit - but the large skinner or other models will. They have an unusual appearance but are very comfortable in use and are designed for game work.

They do stainless and carbon variants. As for handle mine is Rosewood but that won't suit. I don't know if they do an impervious model (they do buffalo for example) but they do sell bare blades and any of the knife makers here could put stabalised wood or micarta on for you

Hope that helps

Red

As another passionate hunter, I would also vote +1 for the Grohmann. This is a very good choice based on her criteria and she can find out about all her options here.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html

Micarta and stabilized wood (their Xtra option) are options available for their handles.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/handles.html

One other excellent choice I've enjoyed using is the Roselli Hunter. I've got the UHC version (Ultra High Carbon) which holds an edge longer but the standard forged version is also excellent and more than adequate for her needs.

http://www.roselli.fi/1/

Best of luck.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Well, I like the Enzo and EKA that have been suggested, and also this Helle knife:

http://www.heinnie.com/uploads/images_products_large/1115.jpg

The Grohmann's are interesting - not a design I would have considered normally...

Remember this is not for butchering the deer, just for the gralloch - it needs to slit skin cleanly and easily, and slide between the gut/internals and the inside of the skin surface to open up the belly and throat without catching the gut.

Keep the ideas coming... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE