HELP!..Fixing a leaking Coleman stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Evening all. I've been in the garage tinkering today and went to make myself a coffee of the old Coleman (exponent?) petrol stove and couldn't stop the blummin thing from leaking fuel everywhere. Seems to be coming from the control lever ( see below)...any thoughts?...I was thinking some kind of perished washer but not sure? I've tried the usual, have nipped and tightened but to no avail...any thoughts appreciated, cheers j

69d49b0b9c78f7eccd269e9c46ee6c18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
There are a number of good vids on U-tube on how to fix all sorts of problems with Coleman stoves, might take a few mins to find what you are looking for but you will find one explaining how to take it apart and fix. I have been looking this week on how to fix the Coleman duel fuel lantern usual problem, coked up generator as a result of using unleaded petrol. They cover vintage models too.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
There are a number of good vids on U-tube on how to fix all sorts of problems with Coleman stoves, might take a few mins to find what you are looking for but you will find one explaining how to take it apart and fix. I have been looking this week on how to fix the Coleman duel fuel lantern usual problem, coked up generator as a result of using unleaded petrol. They cover vintage models too.
Hope this helps

Cheers matey, I did look but couldn't find anything specific to the stove i have...I wondered whether anyone had dismantled something similar....perhaps what I need is one of those breakdown diagrams...cheers for the info, j

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Uncle Boob,

That image looks like the control valve part of the generator tube.

I've just had a look at the diagram of my ancient Coleman Peak One 400 and it doesn't show a breakdown of that - just one piece, which incidentally I replaced on my Coleman dual fuel not too long ago - ebabe about 14 quid (Dutch seller). Might be the way to go.

Re fuel - I've been using Aspen 4T (white petrol for lawn mowers in mine - far cheaper than Coleman white petrol - about 30 quid for 5 litres.

Hope this helps

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Aye Up Uncle Boob,

That image looks like the control valve part of the generator tube.

I've just had a look at the diagram of my ancient Coleman Peak One 400 and it doesn't show a breakdown of that - just one piece, which incidentally I replaced on my Coleman dual fuel not too long ago - ebabe about 14 quid (Dutch seller). Might be the way to go.

Re fuel - I've been using Aspen 4T (white petrol for lawn mowers in mine - far cheaper than Coleman white petrol - about 30 quid for 5 litres.

Hope this helps

Outstanding! Cheers matey. It's a fab little stove but was surprised how expensive the fuel was! I've just been down in the garage again and have managed to pull out the control valve. At the bottom is 2 washers, one blue, one black. The blue one is chewed up so I could replace it, not sure why it's blue though?

I'll have a look at that eBay seller, £14 seems very reasonable to get this old stove fully functioning again!

Many thanks matey, j

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up U/B,

Your are welcome,

It's only a guess but I would suspect that the blue washer is some type of petrol resistant material.

I've used straight and unleaded fuel in the Peak One since back in the early '80s and had to replace the generator tubes periodically until I started using 4T.

If you want to eek the economy out I have heard that alternating white petrol with standard is an option - depends on how frequently you use the stove.

I have started using the 4T in an old ('60s/'70s issue) ex mil petrol optimus stove and I can see the diff between that and straight petrol on the jet face and the burner plate.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Sounds like you need a new valve assembly, should cost around £15 from ebay, i replaced one on my 533 not too long ago.

While your there pick up 5L of panel wipe for £14 delivered. I've used this exclusively as fuel in my petrol stoves since the beginning and never had an issue, far cheaper than the proper fuel, and probably cleaner than petrol;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Panel-...414524?hash=item19f600907c:g:LCkAAOSwbYZXa-dH

Tonyuk

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
As far as I can tell the panel wipe is the same as white gas, the stuff I bought for 14 quid is labelled as naphtha / n-hexane.
Off to YouTube now to see if I can find a fix for my leaking double burner!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
You may be able to source new gaskets for your 442 ~ iirc one is fuel resistant, the other is compressive (I could easily be wrong :eek: ). If you can't, or if it's not economical, then you should be able to source a replacement valve unit.

... Off to YouTube now to see if I can find a fix for my leaking double burner!

If it's the same cause/issue as mine then tightening a nut is an interim fix whilst you (or if you choose to) source the replacement packing.

[video=youtube_share;LGSv3UM4Qbo]https://youtu.be/LGSv3UM4Qbo[/video]

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Cheers all, certainly seems to be a lack of supplies around to repair these fab stoves when they go wrong. Have managed to find a washer supplier (viton?) but need to measure what's left of the one I have before ordering...I'll let you know how I get on! I've looked on eBay for a replacement part, are these interchangeable between models?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
You could try just buying a pack of them and trying the different sizes to see if one fits;

Here

Always handy to have some spare o rings about the house.

Tonyuk

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Well...the trauma continues! I followed all of the good advice and now have a healthy collection of washers! I managed to fix the leak from the fuel tap. What I discovered whilst cleaning it up was quite a lot of crap from inside the fuel tank, I cleaned it out and crossed my fingers that all would be well. Sadly, today I noticed fuel leaking from tiny tiny pin ***** holes in the fuel tank which appeared as bubbles in the paintwork. The tank must have rotted from the inside only becoming obvious when the pressure leak from the fuel tap was fixed! Ah well...guess I'm in the market for a new bottom now! Anyone know if these are interchangeable between models?

Cheers all, j

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE