HELP!!! Decent thermometer needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm looking for a decent thermometer suitable for Arctic temps. I've tried one of these

SVL081-640x629.jpg

But although they look as though they go to -30c they tend to freeze up at about -20c. What I'm looking for if anyone can find one (I've tried soooooooo hard) Is a small digital min/max thermometer with a lower end temp rating of at least -50c It doesn't have to be as small as a keyring but can be about as large as a stopwatch. Digital or analogue is fine but it must be a bit rugged with no stupid wires or probes hanging out that can get snapped off. Any help greatly appreciated.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dave, something comes to mind about the folks who do the arctic/ antarctic surveys, etc., they had zip pull things that did both the UV levels and the temperatures.
Geology suppliers maybe ?

M

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ahhh Ibuttons I see, that'll be the things Mary has seen. The only problem is you can't actually check temps until you get home or somewhere you can download the data off them. I was hoping to find something you can have a peek at when you've had that sub zero sprint to the loo in the small hours :D

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
These are standard issue in the catering industry. They are accurate to -/+ 0.5c no idea of their durability in that kind of cold though...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought the ones I minded were like the little tags that the chemists had a few years ago that women were advised to hang from their bags....they changed colour dependant on the amount of UV light, as a reminder to slap, slop, slip....hat, sunscreen lotion, cover up....

How about the kit for skiers ? do they not have a temperature type one ? something about avalanches and temperature comes to mind too.

Interested to hear what you find though; cool toys for the Christmas stockings :D

M

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Would something like this work? It does have a probe, but at least it's short.
Thomas Traceable Key Chain Thermometer

That looks quite good, I suspect only the probe will operate in low temps though and the unit wont go much below -20c.

When I phoned a few companies looking for one earlier in the year, they recommended a dry ice thermometer.

I quite like the look of this one. A basic air temp alcohol thermometer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE