Hello, see you at the Moot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeaBee

Jun 12, 2011
Devon
Hello,

I'm returning to camping after a gap of about 20 years. This time round I'd like to take up a no-impact style of wild camping for Dartmoor.
I'm looking forward to the moot and to learning alternative solutions to old camping problems. I'll be particularly interested in two new ideas (new to me at least); wood-gas stoves, do they really work? and hammocks, are they really comfy?

See you there

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome aboard TeaBee

I hope you enjoy your time here

As for hammocks, yes, they are comfortable - sometimes even more so than my king-sized bad at home!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
See you there TeaBee. Hammocks can indeed be very comfortable but may lead to obsessive tweaking and fine tuning. I've had mine a couple of years and am still trying to find the 'perfect' setup!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
See ya there, you should see many takes on the hammock setup. As Dan says they can be very obsessive, I still not got mine 'perfect' either and are hoping to see others to get more ideas!

TeaBee

Jun 12, 2011
Devon
Thanks for the welcome, guys, and thanks for the encouragement regarding hammocks. I've reach a stage in life where my back insists that comfort is given a higher priority and I hope that the hammock will be the answer.

See you

TeaBee

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I've reach a stage in life where my back insists that comfort is given a higher priority and I hope that the hammock will be the answer.

Well, a hammock may be just what you're looking for. My only advise would be to start out simple. There are several sites out there dedicated to hammocks but if you're not careful you can come away believing you need a whole raft-load of hi-spec slings, ridgelines and hardware. They all serve a purpose but mostly unnecessary. It's fun to experiment but time and again I revert back to my basic setup.

I dare say I've got a home-brew wood gas stove I could bring along

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE