Hello from West Yorkshire - another ayup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Hi everyone. Just joined to see what might be going on around my neck of the woods (pun intended). I'm 62 years old and retired now -probably started this a bit too late but I love walking and nature and woodlands and photography. Bought a few bits and bobs to practise some bushcraft skills - nothing too extreme - light a fire, have a brew, carve a spoon or two and all that. Just want to enjoy being in the woods and "mucking about". Might do a bit of solo camping when it warms up. Probably got lots of questions to ask eventually.

For Christmas my daughter paid for a days organised foraging in May - looking forward to that.

Are there any bushraft/woodland groups or meet-ups in the West Yorkshire area that you know about please.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi smojo, good to have you on bushcraft uk and it's never too late to get into it :D I bet you've already got loads of skills.

any questions ask away, there's always someone that knows the answer or point in the right direction.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Shewie thanks for the link - I'm only a few miles from the Otley meet. Had a look at the link but can't quite figure what's happening there but posted a message. Could be a good one for me. Swright - I'm in Ilkley (as in Moor Baht 'at)

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Ey up fella and welcome. . . . . yer never too old to start . . . . . With age comes wisdom :)

I hope you enjoy yer sen on here and your day organised foraging in May and everything else in between for that matter. :bigok:

Looking forward to bumping into each other soon.

Take care.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks again, seems like there's quite a few folks here that are fairly local to me. I was thinking I was some kind of weirdo (probably am anyway) for wanting to go off to the woods and play. Basically I have done walks through woods and the moorlands here many times and enjoyed the solitude and find that it has a sort of calming and wholesome effect on me, but that's it you just pass through and it's over too soon. Then I saw George Martins tv program of amazing small spaces and a young guy had bought a small woodland for a few grand and built a shack on it. That's what I really wanted but prices are pretty much out of reach. So I figured, why don't I use my local woods and just spend more time there - do some simple bushcraft things. So I went foraging for tinder and mushrooms. Not much look there though. Did find some King Alfred cakes so I was chuffed about that. Made myself a nice hazel walking staff. Started looking at bushcrafters on Youtube. Bought a few bits including a Mora knife, and a Honey stove. Daughter bought me a spoon carving chisel for Christmas so now I want to get out there and enjoy them. Nothing too extreme though.

We live in a world that has been sterilised don't we? Living is too easy and reliant on shops and convenience appliances. Don't get me wrong, I love my creature comforts as much as the next man but it leaves you feeling as though something is missing. It can leave you feeling out of touch with the beautiful planet we live on and the fact that we are living organic creatures just like the plants and animals in nature. It's quite pathetic that most folks wouldn't know how or have the ability to do the simple tasks for survival in the wild, like finding dry wood and lighting a fire to keep warm. Finding and making drinkable water. Most of us we will probably never actually need to do that but it's a comforting and powerful feeling to know that you can if necessary. I'm setting myself some basic tasks to aim for on my outings and just try to build up some useful skills that way. And apart from all that philosophy - it's fun!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE