Heat Exchanger pots and Kettles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
[video=youtube;61rlrxcEX4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61rlrxcEX4M[/video]

They work really well but do give off nasty fumes so only use in a VERY well ventilated space, well worth the money.

rg598

Native
They work. I think most tests point to about 30% increase in efficiency. They can be used on a fire as well as on a stove, but are a pain to clean after. They do seem to generate more CO emissions though.

That being said, the added weight of a pot with a heat exchanger usually requires a pretty long trip, or a trip where you are using a lot of fuel (melting snow for water) to make up that weight in fuel savings.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My experience of these is that they are definitely more efficient. Also worth noting - re the example you gave of a Fire Maple 1litre pot, is that is what Alpkit is selling in their current sale for £15, rather than the Aliexpress price of $28! Also the Alpkit pot has a removable insulated coat. Both the Alpkit Brukit and Brupot are rebadged Fire Maple products.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A question I have wondered, do heat exchanger pots also work the other way, do they result in the contents cooling faster too? Anyone played with this?

J

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A question I have wondered, do heat exchanger pots also work the other way, do they result in the contents cooling faster too? Anyone played with this?

J
They are all based around a Peltier effect chip so with an external source of electrical power be it a vehicle battery or another power pot then you could chill a bottle of wine.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
They are all based around a Peltier effect chip so with an external source of electrical power be it a vehicle battery or another power pot then you could chill a bottle of wine.

Are we thinking of the same thing? I thought a pot with Heat exchanger involved fitting a big heat sink on the bottom, to increase the surface area for harnessing the heat coming from the flame. Hence why they are mostly found in aluminium, rather than titanium.

MSR make a heat exchanger that you can add to one of their ordinary pots:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/ie/msr/cookware/cookware-accessories/heat-exchanger/product

It basically works by increasing the surface area of the pot. Just like a heat sink does.

So, given that they are using a heatsink in reverse to heat the pot. It follows that the heatsink also increases the cooling of the hot once your turn the burner off...

J

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
My bad, been stuck on the electronics lab for the last month and brain has short circuited the phrases heat-pump and heat-exchanger.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

J

Thin metal heats faster, an cools faster than the same mass that is in a thicker form ie tinfoil cooling so quickly, so I suppose when taken off the gas they could.

Dec 16, 2007
I have used a jet boil 1.5ltr pan with my MSR whisperlite international and got a boil of 600ml of water in 4 mins compared to 6 mins with the same volume of water in a 14cm Zebra billy both without lids so could be even quicker with lids. the jet boils pot has there patented Fluxring on the bottom.
What I also found was the boil time doesn't change even if you leave the plastic cover on the pot all it does is melts very quickly and bogs up your cooker that then takes 3 hours to clean. School boy error.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE