Headwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The head is the place where we lose most of our body heat from when it's cold and the bit that we want to protect from too much sun when it's hot.

What's your favorite bushcraft headwear?

Mine is a GoreTex lined woolly hat when it's cold/wet (a really nice bit of kit) and a T3 Tilley in summer (or a Mountain Hardware sun hat).

What's your favorite bushcraft hat?

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
Winter - a Lowe Mountain cap - waterproof, breathable, fairly inconspicuous earflaps (!),warm, wired peak. Perfect.

Summer - can't remember what make it is (the wife bought it for me in the USA) - a huge peak, and has a protective neck flap that covers the sides/ears as well as back of neck. This flap can be tucked inside the cap when not needed so it (almost) looks like a normal baseball cap. This cap was absolutely essential last summer in the burning heat - on the record breaking days i was fishing down on the Sussex coast and it was far safer and cleaner to cover up from the sun rather than slap on the factor 30! I can also pretend that i'm in the Foreign Legion when wearing it.... :wink:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A wool thinsulate hat for winter.
A Rogue Drovers hat for summer, or my very faded and stained Land Rover baseball cap.
With my low drag factor hair style, I tend to need a hat! :-D

Dave

EdS

i've got wide variety of hats - some good and plenty silly.

I keep coming back to 4 or so:

Winter - an old beaver fur loddy (is taht the spelling) that my father aquired years ago that I subsequently liberated. It does get a bit hot though.

Summer - a crushable wool felt brimmed job or a floppy "Fishbone" bush hat, it a surfy type Boonie thing but doesn't look at all military.

An most of the year a fleece hat. Even worn this in the Eden project where it shocked SWMBO that while everyone else was wilting I had nice cool head under said hat.

Plus long hair which keeps the heat in if tied back or catches any cooling breeze when loose.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
CM Burns said:
Winter - a Lowe Mountain cap - waterproof, breathable, fairly inconspicuous earflaps (!),warm, wired peak. Perfect.

Oh yeah ... I got one of those too ... somewhere!

Summer - can't remember what make it is (the wife bought it for me in the USA) - a huge peak, and has a protective neck flap that covers the sides/ears as well as back of neck.

Sounds juist like my Mountain Hardware cap ... nice bit of kit!

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Winter: Fleece Skull cap the inlaws bought home from a trip in France last year. I had it on all winter and the old noggin was toasty.

Summer: Military style bush hat I bought for £2. rolls up to nothing and is pretty breathable I think it's cotton but I'm sure.

An of course my Old BP hat (not sure of the real name anyone). It was give to me by an old Belgium scout master I worked with on his retirement. Great hat for camp and water proof.

James

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Winter..Lowe Mountain Cap
10040_m.jpg

Summer Barmah suede squashy....
1120_gr.jpg

Or a Zandanna (half bandanna, half hat)
Z6.jpg

:-D

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I tend to use the army issue headover a lot - great piece of kit, hat, scarf and balaclava all in one. Also, very warm in the cold weather.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I tend to wear the same hat all year round, it's made by Akuba (sp), the model is Snowy River.

It's made out of compressed rabbit fur I think so it's totally waterproof, it has a brim all the way round. I've customised mine and put ear flaps that pull down in bad weather and tuck right up out of the way in good.

It's posh enough to wear on shoot days and practical enough to wear the rest of the time as well

I like it.

Cheers

Mark

J

JeremyH

Winter - Fjallraven Forest Hat - this has rabbit ear muffs - looks a bit like
a laplander but superb and warm, or if not so cold - Lowe Alpine as as before. Also an old tweed cap.

Summer: Tilley hat - green

All year wollen skull cap made by a local crofter from hebridean sheep wool and dog hair. yep I'm folically challenged too.

Jeremyh

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
A woolen beanie type hat for the winter.
In the summer i rarely feel the need for sun protection. But in the desert i just take a small piece of white cotton and wrap it round, it seems to be the most effective, as it doesnt trap as much heat as a hat.

And of course, sun cream, the worst feeling i ever had was in the wolfberg cracks, SA, with heat stroke.

Cheers,

Jake

Mar 2, 2004
i got a wee berghaus black fleece beanie hat ,wear it everywhere. while fishing at night in stormy weather it still kept my noggin warm even though it was soaked.dried out real quick too.
usually worn with a fleece snood so you can only see my eyes.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Naughty boy....whats with your signiture? do people get offended by you?
:lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE