rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Voyages of Discovery

BBC4, 21.00, Nansen

From the beeb site

"The Ice King

For once, Paul Rose doesn't set sail in a replica vessel, but gets to examine the original in a Norwegian museum. It's the Fram, specially built for Fridtjof Nansen's 1893 expedition to the North Pole, and designed to withstand being frozen in pack ice. Rose tells another extraordinary tale, and also displays his skills with a dog-sled and kayak. Now he's entered the modern era, Rose reveals some of the branded products that helped Nansen to survive. So Primus stoves get a mention; fabrics by Jaeger and Burberry; and Cadbury, which was the expedition's sponsor."

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks for letting us know about this programme Rik. I watched it last night - very, very interesting. I have to admit I'd never heard of the guy before - strewth they made them tough in those days. :eek: I've just looked on Amazon for books about him and his voyage - I want to know more and will be getting this book if I can get hold of it - currently out of stock on Amazon :( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nansen-Expl...id=1165589386/ref=sr_11_1/202-4446974-5580643 cheers again Rik , nice one :You_Rock_

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Talk about tough guys, they only changed their trousers when they could ring seal fat out of them :eek:

And he swam to get his kayaks back in god only knows what temperature seas :eek: plus the overland journey to get to the pole and the journey back having not made it......quite incedible story.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
As a feat of endurance, fortitude and optimism it was up there with Shackleton's more famous endevour... I don't think they make 'em like this any more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE