[HEADS UP] Acetone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I'm not sure if this will be of use to anyone or not, but a local (to me, Ulverston, South Cumbria) business is ceasing trading in the supply of acetone. To clear stock they're offering some very good discounts on bulk purchases.

This is 99.8% pure virgin (i.e. not reclaimed) acetone which they're knocking out in 25 litre drums for £30.00 - local pickup only though as the reason they're stopping supply is hugely increased shipping charges due to new regulations.

It's worth noting that this isn't the same stuff you would normally buy as nail varnish remover, it's undiluted and far more volatile than meths or isopropyl alcohol.

More details from The Plastic Bottles Company, on 01229 588877 or 01229 588468

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I reckon acetone is a dangerous option for use in alcohol stoves - far too volatile for me, anyway.............and a spillage would be a bit more than unpleasant anywhere 'round your gear........

Big pressure build-up? Seriously low flashpoint? ........Also, apparently, destroys GTX on contact.......................

Last edited:

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Noooooooooo dont do it chaps... acetone of this grade is not really to be fooled with

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just to clarify... I'm not recommending this as fuel for alcohol stoves! 99.8% Acetone boils at under 60 degrees C and has a hotter flame than petrol, I've not tried it but I would imagine it would make a spectacular sight in an alcohol stove, quite possibly A&E spectacular.

However, it is a wonderful solvent, particularly if you're cleaning up after using glassfibre resins. It's also miscible with water so can be diluted to your requirements.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE