Headgear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Being as bald as a coot, I like to wear a hat outdoors.

My current preference is my trusty Barbour deerstalker. It covers most of your head so is warmer than a flat cap and won't blow off in the wind. The two peaks keep rain off your face and stop it dripping down your neck. You see plenty of folk wearing them up here.

Downsides - it's not waterproof, and looking up can be slightly restricted. Doesn't work with a hood. Maybe a bit Sherlockian in town. Wife hates it.

In summer I used to have a Tilley but two years ago changed it for an Akubra Snowy River. I much prefer the Akubra. More comfortable, and stays on better. I use this particularly when gold panning as it stays on when you're looking down. It will blow off in wind so no use on exposed mountains though. Works well with a mosquito net.

I've yet to find the ideal hat. What do other folk wear?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Quite fond of a Rogue drovers hat most of the time. For really cold weatherI go for a thinsulate woolly hat and a waxed thing for downpours.
On the shoot I have a tweed flat cap to blend in - the peak also protects your face a bit in some of the thicker cover when beating.

Dave

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I'm quite keen on my Lite Felt, a kind of felt trilby type affair, that you can screw up in a ball and chuck in yer sack, then it springs back to shape when you pull it out. Otherwise flat cap or the good old wooly when its breezy. then there's a black fleecy beany generally used under the car, baseball caps for woodwork.....
Cheers
Rich

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i have a simular lack of hair,
i am looking to get one of those waterproof stiff peaked caps with the fur lining that lowe alpine make or a simular design.

i have always worn wooly hats but now i wear glasses so something to stop drips in my glasses is always a good thing! :wink:

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I've got one of the Lowe Alpine hats with a fleece lining, great for cold or wet weather, you can fold up the ear flaps and the peak if you want, giving better alround vision. For hot weather I wear either an issue jungle hat or a Tilley hat, both are fairly indistructable and comfortable.

Brian

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
ORgear.com
Are frequently referred to as being the best producers of extremities wear. I don't own any of the products, but when I asked the same question everyone said them.

Specifically the Seattle sombrero is said to be the best waterproof hat out.
There’s a huge choice. They also make excellent gaiters.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I have one of the Lowe Alpine waterproof hats, they are an excellent "bit o kit". They have a press stud on the front so you can keep the peak up for better visiblity. Oh and don't think of it as "bald as a coot" think of it as "Hair Free, Care Free".

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i have a buffalo squashy you can roll it up jump up and down on it and it allways goe's back to shape and a baseball cap for working in

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi all, I wear a Paramo trail cap. Excellent bit of kit windproof and waterproof, it has the fold down ear flaps and stays on even in the heaviest winds (even in the downdraft of a helicopter!). Put on over wet hair your head dries out quicker than without it.
In real cold weather I wear a close fitting merino wool hat underneath.

Will

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I've been wearing (and, despite the guarantee, sometimes wearing out) Tilley Hats for ten years now and they are excellent items. The T1 works nicely in the woods due to the smaller brim. I originally bought one because I couldn't find another hat to fit - hold back those comments, please! - and now have half a dozen of them, in various states of respectability.

The Paramo cap, ugly little beast though it is, also gets my vote and just fits my size eight noggin, and I often wear a wool felt Dorfman Pacific safari hat. Can't afford the Akubra I'd like, alas.

On the hills when it's wet and very windy I'll also wear a Buff as a hat... but not when there's a chance of anyone seeing what I look like.

Outdoor Research used to make a very good "Hat for all Seasons," which was a cap with a separate fleecy liner, but I haven't seen these around for a while. Does anyone know of a UK stockist?

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm down to No.2 on the razor to stop the remaining hair looking daft, so hats rock ! So do brims that keep the rain off your specs.

Have the fleecy Lowe Alpine thing - too hot for me in any but the foulest weather. Skiing headbands are usefully warm and stop the earache you can get in a relentless cold wind. I use a baseball hat quite often. My favorite is a proper Akubra Cattlemen's hat bought from RM Williams. Big brim and top quality felt, it keeps sun or rain off equally well. Mind you, everyone assumes you're an Aussie :-D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:)
ok you guy's have talked me into it i shall have to get a lowe alpine fleeecy thingy!

it's either that or a some sort of plastic bubble to keep the rain off! :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I find the Lowe Apline mountain cap to hot to wear when walking ect so i generaly stick with a my comfy old woolly hat in the cold weather - waterproofing not a problem as all my gear have hoods.

In sunny weather (being folickly challenged) I like a rogue hat or a plain old baseball cap.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
It's funny - I'd never really thouht in depth about this too much until I read what everyone else was into.

I suppose I usually have either a tightish wool/synthetic cap for the cold (works under a hood); a baseball cap (given to me by some people that I worked with a while back) for warm weather/washing the car/fixing the bike; and a military jungle/desert hat for when it's really hot and I need something with a brim for the mosquito net headover.

I've always found that anything with a brim seems to catch on everything and it takes me a while to train myself to remember that I'm wearing something a bit bigger than my head!

These waterproof hats - do they make your head sweaty?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Well, I can be a smug git on this one as I have a full head of curly hair ( the ladies love it..........) but I have worn a felt trilby since I was 14 ( I was well cool then) perhaps it's time for me to get a more modern hat!!

Anyway the trilbys are a wonderful hat, not poncey but very pratical..........and no, I don't look like Dave Angel!!

Cheers.

jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE