head scratching : zelph super stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I'll admit, Ive got the itch to fettle <twitches>

So, I've been scratching my head over the zelph super stove. I cant work out how hes made it....any ideas?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Head over to BPlite mate, he lives on that forum. You should find more info than you'll ever want on it :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
you can DIY a die from a donor bottle but you will not get a very good finish unless you use a proper die with a stable radius. what tends to happen is the side walls crimp and look naff even though the stove will often work just fine. bottle wise id suggest carling, coors light and caffreys all of which are now available in an alu bottle

forgot to add. As you will start with a fair length of tube you will almost certainly need an arbour press in the 2 ton range to get the jaw size needed. for smaller stoves you will get away with a bench vice

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've recently picked up a couple of the alu bottles to have a play with, haven't had a go as yet though.

Looking on youtube there's a few vids showing how to use a donor bottle and a car jack to produce the rolled over edges, this is for a different design to the super stove though so might not be any use to you.

Be interested to see how you get on

Matt

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
the ones with inverted necks are a doddle with a diy die

0a87341c.jpg

to roll a tube similar to the bios or zelph on a diy die it ends up like this

f3637d8f.jpg

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Finally got round to giving one of these stoves a go today

Alustove.jpg

Seems to work a treat! The holes are maybe a little bit too far from the top though? I'll see what it's like with a pot on top of it later on.

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE