Hazel Hurdle Installation - A Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

I've just bought a few hazel (wattle) hurdles for my camp, along with some chestnut stakes.

attachment.php

The hurdles have come with the sails (vertical bits) protruding some 15cm/6" below the bottom of the hurdle proper - where they fitted into the mould. Should I point these and drive them into the ground when installing them? Or cut them off (almost) flush? Or leave them as they are to rest on the ground?

I plan to wire them to the chestnut stakes.

Ta for advice...

Last edited:

bearbait

I've had a good review of my various books but can find nothing definitive. The closest anything comes is to suggest cutting off the sails about 1"/2.5cm below the weave - apart from those at each end which are pointed to go into the ground. This recommendation was for wattle hurdles used for constraining sheep, and therefore moved relatively frequently. Mine are a permanent installation.

I decided to go ahead and install them as they were, figuring that the slight extra distance from the ground may encourage the lower weavey bits to start to rot less quickly.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They will rot much more quickly than sweet chestnut, but if you cut the sails off too short, they fall apart! You've done right, don't hammer them in or cut them off. Hurdles were always meant to move, they were temporary field enclosures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE