Hazel bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
We all love a good project, this is the latest of mine to be finished. A hazel stave of approx 5" diameter x 6' long was drawknifed, spoke shaved and carved; stained and oiled then a multi strand waxed string was a added along with two rabbit fur silencers.

Just need some arrows now 😊

6a91310d864968378316abdf25a3e1b8.jpg

4aff3f6998c285e9dff5e15a19b4fbcd.jpg

4d62b25d1c58152467cb17fd94b963b0.jpg

2d7cfc4a6d9a415179d77f5f8e6c5245.jpg

1961863d947fe18c2046a89e389fecfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
I've no idea Wayne, first time I've done this bow making thing. (Although I did a smaller one first to get the mistakes out of the way). It's been given three coats in oil just to weather proof it which may slow the seasoning process, I'll report back if it does go a bit brittle.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice one. I have some hazel seasoning in the shed. I havent made a bow for a while, and I havent posted any here, but apparently I have "too many bows for one man" already ;)

markman8

Dec 14, 2012
Crete Greece
Yes you should do that before choosing your arrows. If you buy them the archery store must know poundage@draw.length to give you the appropriate shafts and arrow heads. Now if you make them ... I do not know how you can make them so that they fit your bow. I suppose via trial and error.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Making arrows is the most cost effective way of course. However, as Markman8 points out, you need to have some idea of the your draw length, and the bow's draw-weight at that length. When you have that info you can make an educated guess at a reasonable arrow shaft spine, pile weight, and fletch length to use. Even then everyone who shoots has a slightly different form and loose, so if at all possible try several different sets of arrows at a safe shooting range until you find a set that matches your bow well.
Many traditional archery suppliers can help you with this, and some offer the matching service (basically a cheap rental on sets of arrows to try out at their place). Some will occasionally even waive the fee if you buy the arrow parts from them when you know what you want.

If you have a set of bathroom scales, and a stout (1x2 or 2x2) piece of straight wood around 4 feet long, you can get a close measure of the draw weight of your bow. Cut a deep notch in one end of the piece of wood. Measure along the piece of wood along from the bottom of the notch, and make a clear mark at your drawlength. Put the bathroom scales on the floor. Then, and this is a bit tricky so be careful, stand the straight cut other end of the piece of wood on the bathroom scales, and put the bowstring in the notch of the wood at the nocking point of the string. Then push down on the bow handle, keeping it close to, or sliding along the piece of wood. As you approach your drawlength mark on the piece of wood, glance down and read the draw weight from the bathroom scales, then slowly release the tension of the bow. You can subtract the static weight of the bow and piece of wood from the reading, and you should be about there.

Cheers, Bob

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
All this input is great. It's much appreciated.

I plan on making the arrows as well, however I was considering buying one as a kind of benchmark.

I was watching a YouTube video where they were cutting in a shelf, is this a worthwhile thing to do? I'd not seen one before (being a bit of an archery novice).

I've just been to get the bathroom scales and the battery has ran out (missus bought the new fangled type), oh well, off to get some scales in the morning.

Just one other thing, where is the draw length measured from? Front of the bow to the taught bowstring at your chin? Nose? Cheek? Like I said, I'm a novice!!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I knew someone who was very proficient at making arrows from hazel. Would seem a natural ammunition for a hazel bow. Personally I like to know my arrows'performance rather than getting ones that "match" my bow.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
All this input is great. It's much appreciated.

I plan on making the arrows as well, however I was considering buying one as a kind of benchmark.

I was watching a YouTube video where they were cutting in a shelf, is this a worthwhile thing to do? I'd not seen one before (being a bit of an archery novice).

I've just been to get the bathroom scales and the battery has ran out (missus bought the new fangled type), oh well, off to get some scales in the morning.

Just one other thing, where is the draw length measured from? Front of the bow to the taught bowstring at your chin? Nose? Cheek? Like I said, I'm a novice!!

Officially the draw length is measured on the arrow from the bottom of the nock slot to the joint between the shaft and the pile (point). The easiest way to measure is to use an over length arrow, and draw it how you would if you were shooting. While holding it at full draw, get your other half to mark the shaft where it coincides with the back of the bow - the side facing away from you. That distance between the mark and the bottom of the nock slot on the over long arrow is then your draw length. Don't be surprised if it different from the length you expect.

With regards to the arrow shelf, it depends upon how and where you will shoot the bow. In its current state without the shelf, it qualifies for the NFAS Primitive class. With a shelf it would move into being an American Flat Bow class bow and would be at a disadvantage. If the bow is just for shooting with friends, then it is up to you, but as you have finished the bow I wouldn't change myself. Shooting off the hand is a little more difficult to master, but worthwhile in my opinion. There is also the risk of introducing a weak point in the bow in the most stressed area if you make a mistake.

I would advise getting your draw length and draw weight sorted, and then borrowing a few arrows to try. It is usually quickly apparent when you hit on the right combination for your bow.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I knew someone who was very proficient at making arrows from hazel. Would seem a natural ammunition for a hazel bow. Personally I like to know my arrows'performance rather than getting ones that "match" my bow.

Hazel is very good for arrow shafts. Being one of the originators of the NFAS Primitive class I have made a few dozen. However there would be some drawbacks in cutting your own now. You would need to season them for many weeks, and then straighten them before you could think of using them. Then you may have a challenge finding suitable piles to fit them as the shafts often need to be quite thick in diameter to get the same spine as a 5/16 or 11/32 pine/cedar shaft. My own preference these days are bamboo shafts for toughness.

Matching the arrows to the bow is a critical part of shooting well. Not doing so will quickly take the shine off your shooting pleasure.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE