Have you ever walked the lonesome hill.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Where I lived as a kid curlews and Skylarks were the main birds I noticed.
The Curlews used to nest near the big stone I played on and climbed all over (also the place where my fathers ashes are scattered) and the Skylarks used to scold me from above when I was making dens in the bracken further down the fell from our farm.

Oh and I can remember Dippers in the beck above the ford.
There must have been other birds but I can't remember them,

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
Nice pics BR, living close to an expance of salt marsh, we are blessed with with the presence of Curlews
to me, the sound of ther plaintive cry, is the sound of the marshes.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You lucy people, not a bird I ever see any more up where I am; people tell me they're to be seen further down on the Severn Estuary, but they seem to always elude me...........great pictures! atb mac

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Sycamour, funny that you associate them with marshes; I live near the moors, and always get a kick out of hearing the first ones of the year up here - it's a definite sign that spring's just around the corner...
although maybe not this year!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Nice pics BR, living close to an expance of salt marsh, we are blessed with with the presence of Curlews
to me, the sound of ther plaintive cry, is the sound of the marshes.

Funny, I live up in the hills & like Mick W, their cry is always the sound of the moors to me :).

There's a flock around here at the moment too, something my Dad & I have never seen, when you see curlews (or whaups as we call them) they're in their nesting territory and you see a pair at most. I think the late snowfall has put a roadblock on their dispersion into the hills & they're on a holding pattern in the valley till it clears.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some lovely pics there British Red and love the opening lines. :)

I claim no credit for the lines - they are from the ballad of "Young Ned of the Hill"

[video=youtube;n-y2ox2HPnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-y2ox2HPnc[/video]

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I regularly hear them when I'm out near our coastal marshes; very atmospheric when it's just you, the landscape and them.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Handsome birds :cool: I saw some Stone Curlews on holiday a few weeks ago, they're definitely the ugly sisters to these guys.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I always get a buzz out of watching and listening to skylarks, as they disappear upward into the heavens. You can still hear them long after they've climbed so high, they've disappeared from view.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE