Have Bus Pass will Travel !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Mrs QDanT left for the shoe mines/handbag quarrys with the girls this morning :sadwavey: Free Time :thankyou:
Rummaged through the fridge/freeezer found some rib-eye :approve: packed the Trolly
out to the bus stop with my over 60's free pass asked the driver for the nearest stop to Greeberfield locks please, just ring the bell where you want dropping off his reply :cool:
001_zps2oj9kewj.jpg~original

Being an OAP it's only £6 a year to fish from the Anchor Inn to Bank Newton top lock, with the Cross Keys Inn just over 1/2 way,
Had a look round Greeberfield locks
01_zpsdbkubsfm.jpg~original

02_zpss5tpmxzj.jpg~original

03_zps6ucxfszp.jpg~original

04_zpsqgarjhab.jpg~original

05_zpsrrpvfhp2.jpg~original

06_zpsrucelz8o.jpg~original

07_zpssjfzkdnc.jpg~original

08_zpswbl1roll.jpg~original

09_zps7smwmtfk.jpg~original

then headed back the other way
10_zps97lb1iih.jpg~original

Flocks of Curlews flying round squeaking
11_zpslvy6jrga.jpg~original

12_zpstb3akb6r.jpg~original

13_zpsforiqaux.jpg~original

Moorhen
14_zpsgui0gzuv.jpg~original

passed under the road bridge I was going to walk back on, to a dissused canal wharf building
16_zpscuiwkix7.jpg~original

I'll huff and puff and push your wall down said the Sycamore tree
15_zps4octyowp.jpg~original

charred punk wood from the Fungus Ear Cafe post
37_zpsrzffwq4y.jpg~original

17_zpsxnu1cpit.jpg~original

and a Sulphur match stub
18_zps8lwgwd7h.jpg~original

19_zpsabclybdl.jpg~original

20_zpsy1thjxw2.jpg~original

anothe Moorhen on the opposite bank
21_zpsjvblcurn.jpg~original

22_zpsvlw0ybxq.jpg~original

Peas, Carrots, Smash with Nutmeg and Rib-eye
23_zpsnalfw04t.jpg~original

and a Pinotage
24_zpsha14npqo.jpg~original

then a pipe of Balkan mix

25_zpsdbhw8lc5.jpg~original

26_zpst4zjk3qw.jpg~original

then walked back on the road to the bus stop for a Free ride home

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Bus passes are great arent they?

Its hard getting me or my father out of our cars but we are both very grateful for bus passes.

(And if you are elegible, and havent got one, what are you waiting for?)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I enjoyed reading that QDanT, I have walked many of the canals in the midlands but none in the north. I take an interest in their history and spent many happy times on my pals old narrowboat in the 80s before he passed away. It was nice to see the photo of those curlews, when I was young I used to see lots of them in Shropshire and listen to their wonderful call but they are much scarcer now and have in fact just been added to the red list due to their population decline. Looks like you had a great day, thanks for posting. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dammio!
Last time I was there I was 20 years old and had just dislocated my knee on a Lands End to JOG attempt - stayed at Earby YHA and the next stop was a B&B in Thornton...
painful memories!
Your walk looks a lot less painful :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Good to be reminded that old age does have some benefits. I just hope bus passes are still around when our younger members reach our age. And if they are you won't have to be over eighty to retire.

Our problem in Oxfordshire is that all the bus routes are closing down. In France anyone of any age can travel anywhere in our department (county) for one euro. This was a measure to get people out of cars, and it works. We walk along the coast or up into the hills until we get tired and then catch the bus home.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Good to be reminded that old age does have some benefits. I just hope bus passes are still around when our younger members reach our age. And if they are you won't have to be over eighty to retire.

Our problem in Oxfordshire is that all the bus routes are closing down. In France anyone of any age can travel anywhere in our department (county) for one euro. This was a measure to get people out of cars, and it works. We walk along the coast or up into the hills until we get tired and then catch the bus home.

My car is still a precious resource to me, even if I did have a bus pass, there are favourite places I just could not get to by bus any more.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK

I travel a lot by bus and train, the problem with public transport is that they reduce their services during sundays and bank holidays, which is a real pain if you want to go anywhere on those days, sometimes there is no service at all on sundays on some bus routes. Also I like to be out on evenings and some bus services finish about 6:30 so that is a pain too, I suppose bus drivers like to be home as well, it's a pain though when you have to rely on public transport, the services are being reduced all the time some places they are non existent.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
My car is still a precious resource to me, even if I did have a bus pass, there are favourite places I just could not get to by bus any more.

That's fair enough but because I've got both if I go up the Dales (last 1/2 dozen Out & About posts) it's the car but anywhere local I'll take the bus and drink more wine. I guess I'm lucky living in the countryside, here's the view from my bedroom window
from%20bed%20window_zpsxblecste.jpg~original

03%20cheers_zpszsfrrajl.gif~original

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I enjoyed reading that QDanT, I have walked many of the canals in the midlands but none in the north. I take an interest in their history and spent many happy times on my pals old narrowboat in the 80s before he passed away. It was nice to see the photo of those curlews, when I was young I used to see lots of them in Shropshire and listen to their wonderful call but they are much scarcer now and have in fact just been added to the red list due to their population decline. Looks like you had a great day, thanks for posting. :)

It was the Lapwings that were first back this year but the Curlews soon followed, they both nest in the fields out back
from%20bed%20window_zpsxblecste.jpg~original

and we wake up to their calls. Along with the Coltsfoot flowering it's my reminder that spring has arrived

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Dammio!
Last time I was there I was 20 years old and had just dislocated my knee on a Lands End to JOG attempt - stayed at Earby YHA and the next stop was a B&B in Thornton...
painful memories!
Your walk looks a lot less painful :)

I wonder how many people have hopped the Lands End to JOG :sad6: IGMC
getmecoat_zpseg5n6tro.gif~original

My walk was also on the level :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wonder how many people have hopped the Lands End to JOG :sad6: IGMC
getmecoat_zpseg5n6tro.gif~original

My walk was also on the level :)

My LA-JOG was a fail - once I got off the limestone and nice turf and back into peat my knee said "NO!" ... the dislocation had torn muscles, ligaments and cartilage and my knee was being pulled apart at every step.... I got as far Durham before calling it a day.
That injury has caused untold grief over the years with over compensation destroying other joints! I have recently realized that I cannot walk more than 5 easy miles and have had to give up canoeing! My main interest for most of my outdoor life was Long Distance walking (Member of the Long Distance and Backpackers clubs...) and in my 40s started leading expeds around the globe....now a walk around the village can hurt (on a bad day)!
Canal walks look good - but there are no canals around here - and I may steal your trolley design!
Be nice to me - show a picture of the harness side :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That's fair enough but because I've got both if I go up the Dales (last 1/2 dozen Out & About posts) it's the car but anywhere local I'll take the bus and drink more wine.

I noticed that the bottle on the bus pass trip was a full size one instead of the single glass size:)

Nice area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE