Has anyone seen this before?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, the schools were talking about setting this up for themselves last year, it looks like the bigger schools have gone ahead and set it up themselves. I note that there are none of the smaller schools in the list, I presume that the bigger schools are the founding members of it. Usually there is a list explaining who the founding members of associations are.

Unless they’re a government department of some kind there is no authority to legislate.

Well spotted Chris. By the way, you ok? I noticed that you’ve deleted all of your other posts, most of which were to do with those schools :?: :werd: Just wondering if the new forum is playing up for you?

Cheers

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
As far as I see (quick glance) it doesn't say the listed schools endorse the site are you sure they know about it? I say this because a kid could design a better website, take that back kids hack google, an adult could do a better site :wink:

It doesn't strike me as something I would want my name on if I was Bison Bushcraft or Woodlore. The people at Woodlore are dead helpful with all sorts of questions so you could contact them for more info on the site. Just my humble opinion so no offence if anyone here is the webmaster.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
you wouldn't want to see bearclaw on it would you Gary? Doesn't look very professional is my impression.

Bill

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
I'm fine thanks Tony, been away, I will pm you about what happened on the other posts.

I thought this was fake, I got an email reply from Boulder Survival School, they never heard of it and are looking into it, so are Arktis.

The WHOIS site will not let me read the page without joining something, has anybody been able to read this, who is the site owner, because it's very vague, no contact names, no founder member name etc

Without offending anyone, It does look a bit bogus, wonder if the other companies Know about this.

Thanks for the feedback
Chris

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
chris said:
The WHOIS site will not let me read the page without joining something, has anybody been able to read this, who is the site owner, because it's very vague, no contact names, no founder member name etc

Here ya go Chris...

The following information has been copied from the public source http://www.whois.sc/iswba.com which is public domain....

The name and address has been removed at the request of the domain owner and administrative contact for the ISWBA

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Looks to me like they've appointed themselvs as some kind of authority in the industry.

Let me see, what shall I be today - I will be king - anyone want to join my gang? :rolleyes:

Talk about old boys - gurd grief! :roll:

I would ask this.

By what authority do these commercial organisations, set themselves up as an industry authority?

Certainly, as the leading profit making organisations in the industry, they should fund an independant authority, but no representatives from the commercial organisations should sit on the board, or have any influence over who gets membership and who doesnt.

I wonder of the legality of this?

...and why is there only one monopolies commision?

Anyone know the address of the bushcraft ombudsman? :eek:):

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Hey, can I join your gang Martyn ... and have letters after my name!!! :eek:):

And if that ISWBA isn't your cup of tea, you could always try this one:
http://www.bowlingrus.com/ISWBA/ISWBA.htm

On a serious note though, I am concerned to see that this associationis being used to reassure potential clients that the will be provided with professional and safe tuition ... http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/Home2004.htm

So, let me work through this ... set up an association and then use that to reassure potential clients as to the quality of the service you yourself provide. Hmmm ....

.. and if you are still in any doubts as to the links between the two, take a look at the title of this page (the title is the bit that appears at the top of the browser window): http://www.iswba.com/CONSTITUTION.htm

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Unbelievable, :yikes:

well done on exsposing this for what it is, I've been checking with the other companies listed, they have never heard of it and have made a point of distancing themselves from it, it does seem like one persons attempt to make themselves look good to the potential paying public,although you would think that the creator would have thought to let people know that they were now members of his gang. :nono:

Good work :super:
Chris

J

Jamie

how shallow and calculating can you get?

from the Survival School website:
"Survival School is proud to be a member of the International Survival and Wilderness Bushcraft Association. When you click on the logo above you should be directed through to the ISWBA website. On the members page you will find the list of members. This is your reassurance that you are dealing with an organisation that will provide you with professional and safe tuition."

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
This is truly appalling, the more that is discovered about this the worse it looks.
Surely this is a massive abuse of not just fair trading standards but also of the trust of the paying public, not to mention the trust of their fellow peers in the industry.
Look deeper at the statement that they have "HSE approval", the HSE do not give any approval to this type of training, only 1st aid appionted persons courses are given approval.
Good to hear the rest of the industry are distancing themselves from it, I'm amazed at the desperate tactics being used here by one person/company. :nono:
Chris

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
the HSE do not give any approval to this type of training, only 1st aid appionted persons courses are given approval.
But the HSE are involved with checking the teaching area beit woodland or classroom. They need to check fire regs are followed and tools and equipment stored safely.... ie just not left around... they have a whole checklist to go through. We've just had 17 acres of land checked by an HSE officer for a new environmental youth project, it doesn't take long though.

Ed

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Good point Gary,

There is a lot of companies left out, on that note, I wonder how Survival School compiled the list of who they thought should be in the club and who they thought should not be in the club.

One word for this, MEGALOMANIA, (Oxford dictionary = craving for or mental delusions of power)

Boulder Outdoor survival School DID NOT know they were on it, :shock: upto now that is.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE