Has anyone got a Snugpak Special Forces Bivvi Bag ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
Has anyone got a snugpak special forces bivvi bag, I like the look of it mainly as its light and has a 1/2 length zip.

Any opinions/feedback, how roomy is it (I'm 6' and 44 chest) and also how does it perform in the wet ?

Thanks

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I have one, I'm 5'11 and about a 38" inch chest.

I use it over a down sleeping bag and there's still loads of room. It is very light and waterproof but also breathes well. Packs down to nothing.

I use it most trips even in the tent and especially if the dogs been wet as she always like to lie next to me and the down bag has never gotten damp through the bivvi.

A great piece of kit IMHO

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm 6ft, broad in shoulder, loved mine. Depends how we're. I got caught out biviing on bleak low Moor one October. I ditched it as I found myself in a survival situation..
Mine had a full length zip and reinforced foot area for sleeping with boots on. I'd have another one, but not for winter biviing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I'm shorter than you at 5'10" and 40"/42" in the chest and get on well with mine. I've used it a fair bit over the last 3 years and it does a good job but I do use it under a tarp - not sure how good it would be in the open. I was attracted by the low pack size/weight too.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i have used the standard non-zip snugpak bivvy which i think is the same as the special forces one other than not being zipped (has a simple hood), have also used hunka standard and army bivy bags, snugpak is the lightest and smallest packing of the three, seems longer than the hunka and about the same shoulder width, seems to breathe well enough i have only had condensation in it on one occasion on a very damp still warm night but the condensation was excessive wetting sleeping bag badly, used on wet windy nights it has performed okay (the wind seems to have been the factor) seems to be waterproof enough (hydrostatic head of 5,000, hunka is double at 10,000), i prefer the hunka myself as it fits me better (i am short and stocky) even though it is marginally heavier and very slightly larger pack-size, the night i suffered bad condensation might equally have happened with any other bivvy bag it was a particularly damp night, i don't think there is much difference in performance between the snugpak and hunka, though if access is a priority the zipped special forces bag wouild be easier to get in and out but the zip might possibly be a weak point in waterproofness.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the alpkit hunka xl originally but it's out of stock, the price is good and seems to get good reviews. However now I've seen the snugpak special forces one with the 1/2 zip that looks better. I've only used a zipped surplus goretex bivvy bag before and not sure about getting in and out without the zip. A middle of the night call of nature must be a hassle if you have to get out and then back in the top only.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Yes, the snugpak half-zip is a real boon for access. I like to be able to sit up 'in bed' (my bag has a central half-zip too) put a jacket on and get a brew on the go whilst my lower body is still snug in bed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE