Has anyone ever made their own underblanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Jurjen,
I made something similar - more of a fully enclosed pod.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17722&highlight=ogripod
To be honest it has proved to be too warm to use for all but the most severe weather so I am further modifying it to be a wide underblanket that can velcro together over the top of the hammock when the temperature drops and I need the extra insulation, under normal use, the "spare" material tucks down between hammock sides and the underblanket itself. I also made an underblanket for my daughters hammock along the same lines - double duvet as a donor item - cut off one edge and move it to an end - then add a windproof outer shell, some channels to thread the supporting cords and away you go - I might neaten it up by profiling the ends but rectangular works OK, its just a bit bulky.
A sleeping bag might prove to be too small to cover the outer shell of the hammock but give it a try and see how you get on. Its just a case of "not compressing the insulation" yet covering all the areas that need to be kept warm.

ATB

Ogri the trog

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Yes. have a look here.

Loosely based on the instructions here. Patrick's a nice guy too, and will help you with any questions. So am I, come to think of it! :D Ask away.

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap sleeping (at carboots etc) bag to butcher and adapt along the lines of the kickass quilts design.

I've heard good things about underblankets and would like to give it a go as I'm not a big fan of my thermarest in the hammock but love the general comfort in the air.

not getting a response so I might just have to... work with the manual on his website... I've never done anything like it... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hey bro, thanks for the foto. I have turned it into my avatar (see picture) Thijzzz has made that photo a few weeks ago during our first brotherly bushcraft weekend in the Belgium woods. I can only say :You_Rock_ at taking pictures.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With the price of all the materials that Scanker paid, you might aswell try and get one of the group buy underblankets! Unless of course you just want to make it through sheer pleasure of making stuff....
I contemplated using the material from a DD Hammock to make an Underblanket because its double layered all you would have to do was fill it with the quilted material and sew it in then add the tie up lines.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have an old sleeping bag waiting for conversion into an underblanket but I also have recently aquired an old down duvet that may work well too. I'm amazed at how small it packs down.

With the price of all the materials that Scanker paid, you might aswell try and get one of the group buy underblankets! Unless of course you just want to make it through sheer pleasure of making stuff....
I contemplated using the material from a DD Hammock to make an Underblanket because its double layered all you would have to do was fill it with the quilted material and sew it in then add the tie up lines.

Do you mean to simply put two hammocks on top of each other?
would be a fun experiment!
Actually lining one hammock with a sleepingbag and attaching it to your own hammock doesn't sound so stupid.

Do you mean to simply put two hammocks on top of each other?
would be a fun experiment!
Actually lining one hammock with a sleepingbag and attaching it to your own hammock doesn't sound so stupid.

thats the approch hennesy hammocks use for their 4 season kit
tough you cam line it with other stuff ie jackets and leaves etc saves carring another sleeping bag etc the jacket you can use in the day/ evening to wear etc

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/setupvidoeos.html

i missed getting a double camping quilt from the blacks sale at £19 :( with stuff sack would bhave been ideal for conversion i think

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE