Has anyone canoed & wild camped down the river Tay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi bcuk,

Has anyone canoed down the river Tay that could give me some advice?

For a while I have wanted to go for a proper wild camping trip down a river in Scotland & the Tay seems like the obvious choice. I have canoed down several level 3/4 rivers & that was no probs so I want to tackle something more major. I was thinking of starting off in one of the rivers feeding the Tay like the Tummel because as I understand you can canoe the whole Tay in a day, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have any mates with canoes & I don't fancy doing it on my own so is their anyone out there thinking of doing a similar trip who would consider accompaning me? would be good for transport - one vehicle at the start other at the finish.

Also I need to get some boyancy aids for the bow & stern of my canoe does anyone know of a quality set for not too much cash? or even a good diy alternative!

My canoe is a 15 ft GRP apache. I was thinking of going on this trip in the next month or two & any suggestions are welcome & very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello spey or tay would see you right, if you want to make floatation aids , you can use bean bags inside heavy duty plastic bags tied off ( as they will mold to your boat) and lashed down to your boat, ps make sure it is filled with polystyrene beads

hope this helps

nenook

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
You could extend the trip by paddling Loch Tay too. It is a big loch and the sizeable fetch can mean big waves if it is windy though.

I've only paddled the river from the loch to Aberfeldy and it is indeed a very quick trip becauseof the fast current. There is a good grade 2 rapid at Chinese bridge (Beyond Adventure take novices down it so not too intrepid). The rest of the trip to Aberfeldy is completely straightforward unless there are trees down.

You could also ask on SOTP if you haven't already.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE