Harvest time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's seems amazing within a week of the solstice, but we are swinging into getting the harvest in now. The strawberries are abundant this year, as is the rhubarb. If you have never tried strawberry rhubarb pie filling, you are missing out. Two parts strawberry, two parts rhubarb, one part sugar by volume. Water bath can for fifteen minutes.

strawberry rhubarb canning by British Red, on Flickr

We did ten pints of fruit and ten of syrub today (today's strawberry pick was nine and a half pounds). We hope to do three runs before we run out of rhubarb, then its solo strawberries and jam using last years pectin.

Next harvest will be garlic, its about ready. Early over wintering onions are not far off either.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sure is Steve, we are trying to get set up for meat chickens too since the egg ones are going so well, which adds to the time pressure. We are still in the "set up" phase really, new things each year.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Harvest? I've got maybe 60 days to go. A brick in every pocket to keep the mosquitoes from carrying me off.
+1 for strawberry/rhubarb. About the only mixed fruit that really do go together for my battered sense of taste.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Wild strawberries rampant, tame ones starting, red and blackcurrants had their first light picking before the birds get them. Rhubarb in all sort of deserts for the last three weeks. Mange touts starting. Lettuce enough for us, family and neighbours from one 5' x7' raised bed- we're paying the villagers to take it away. Garlic, onions, beetroot etc coming on and the best herb bed for years.

Hugh, I took your advice to get early nantes carrots and the idea is working well- a few sweet thinnings raw and fresh eaten straight out of the plot and the rest shaping up nicely!

Total failure of sweetcorn from seed, ditto runner and french beans. Unfortunately I'm still housebound with sciatica or I'd cheat and buy seedlings in the market.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just harvested strawberries and gooseberries plus swiss chard, chinese broccoli, spring cabbage and spinach, so the hravest has started here at last !

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I started harvesting the Autumn fruiting raspberries this week (Not sure anyone told them they are supposed to be autumn fruiting...).

They have the most appalling shelf life... I've yet to get any to last the walk from garden to indoors... delicious tho...

J

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have stored them till Spring okay Benie. This year I am growing three types

Over wintering sets
Spring planted sets
Spring sown seed.

Most of the over wintering will end up in French Onion soup and caramelized onions chutney as well as supplying cooking needs until the Spring Sown are ready for harvest. I will keep one string though to compare keeping longevity. Happy to share the results. I suspect the answer is that growing all three may provide me with succession through the year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE