Hardwood poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
arctic hobo said:
Does anyone know where I can get a 5' x 1" pole of a decent hardwood? Ignoring price for a minute, the hardest wood I can? Any help much appreciated ;)

I've got a bog load of pollarded hazel in my back gardenif that's any use to you Chris? ? Not the hardest wood in the world but still pretty hard. ;)

Bam. :D

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
any local furniture makers or a hardwood sawmill might be able to help, although it would be likely to be 1" square section rather than a 1" dowel or stave, although if you can use it square i would imagine it would be either a free offcut or, at least much cheaper than 5' of quality hardwood dowel.
hope this helps.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
arctic hobo said:
Does anyone know where I can get a 5' x 1" pole of a decent hardwood? Ignoring price for a minute, the hardest wood I can? Any help much appreciated ;)

I have a couple of 7ft poles i got from my leather supplier, He gives them to me free. The leather turns up rolled around them and he cant get rid of them :) I use them as support poles for my canvas in reenactment. The other option would be a hardwood broom handle. my local (non-chain) DIY does hickory broom handles, pretty hard :)
Depends what use you want to put it to really.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Greenheart?
It gets used for underwater pilings and does not require preservative.

Don't think I would fancy a slap cross the back of the lug with a lump of it anyway :eek:

It's so heavy that it would sink in water even when dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE