Happy Bushcrafty New Year: See you in a week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Bit early, I know, but I'm one of the few, the happy and lucky few, who won the competition on Ray Mears' DVDs a few weeks ago, so tonight I'm off to Lapland to spend a few days with the other winners, Ray and Lars Falt (and that chap who paid fifteen grand to Children in Need, I believe) doing whatever it is that needs doing in the frozen north.

I'll try very hard not to be smug, okay?

Have a cracking New Year, everyone. I'm hoping that the northern lights will put in an appearance. Rumours abound of a sauna and "snow dip," so the chances of a full moon sound perilously real...

See you in 2004,

JB

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Have a good trip Jack. You lucky, lucky #@&%!!!!!

We expect a highly detailed debriefing on your return!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
bjb - :You_Rock_ I know you'll have a great time. Wish the North our best and I hope that you do see the Northern lights, I've seen them from Newfoundland and it's an impressive sight.

Enjoy :wave:

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Right you lucky swine we want pictures, lots of them!!! :-D

In all seriousness have a good time and enjoy yourself. I have seen Arora borialis once and I envy you at the lattitude you will get to see them at, by all accounts they are awe inspiring.

Enjoy
Simon

J

Jamie

Is there any space for me in your rucksack Jack????? I'm only small - honest!!!! :roll:

Have a great time!!!!!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Back from the North, and very tired.

If you ever get the chance to learn any elements of bushcraft from Ray Mears you should jump at it. Not only a wonderful bloke and real gentleman, he is also a teacher of exceptional ability and he certainly knows his stuff. The last few days have been, quite simply, the most wonderful experience of my life to date, and I should like to extend my heartfelt thanks to Ray and Rachel, as well as to everyone else in Lapland and on the trip, who worked together to make it such a unique and memorable time. I'm still digesting everything I have learned and sifting through the memories, but aside from rediscovering the joys of running water I'm not terribly glad to be back in England!

The trip was not the same as the regular Arctic course run by Woodlore for numerous reasons - you'd be amazed how having only a few hours of daylight affects everything you do, for one thing - but I think that all of us have come away having learned a lot about the subject (and what a vast subject it is) and a good deal about ourselves. It's impossible to explain how the falling temperature makes lighting a fire increasingly difficult, but once you have experienced it you understand that when the mercury is dropping towards minus thirty centigrade a fire is essential and knowing how to light one could save your life. Experiencing the frozen north has been quite an eye-opener.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need some sleep.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Good to know you had a fantastic time,

come on then, day by day account, chop-chop we`re all sitting here waiting :)

I didnt realise the week had gone so quick, was going to start a hate campain against all those lucky sods to win the trip lol

We should organsise a meet sometime, think there are 4/5 of us on this site rom staffordshire

take care

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE