Happiness is......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Well if you're in the mood to be patient guys then I'm up for learning to use a sewing machine :) in return I'll throw a bbq in summer and you'll be cordially invited.

As for me...happiness is having my zen space. A place I can practice my bushcraft and enjoy the tranquillity of the area.

Not many places round here now the council are chopping everything down but I'll make do I suppose.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So, asking those much wiser, I'm toying with a 60 1/2 as a small plane for end grain. Would that work okay?

I use a 4 1/2 Bailey for most jobs. Would like something much longer but they get pricey :(

I've never owned one (used to have a 9 1/2 but gave it to the prentice when my father died and I bought the Veritas with some of the money he left.

Anyway, having a bed at 13 1/2 degrees just gives you more choices about your cutting angle. Low (more acute grind) for endgrain and a higher cutting angle for wilder grain.

Same plane with a different grind to the iron. This is much simpler to alter with bevel up planes as you just grind a microbevel to a different angle. With bevel down planes it is possible but you need to backbevel the irons which basically means that iron (or blade as some people call em) can't really be used for normal angles anymore.

I have borrowed someone else's 60 1/2 before and personally found it a bit narrow for my large hands, I've even had a go with the Lie-Nielson version of that Stanley and wasn't right blown away by that either, too narrow but beautifully made.

4 1/2 Bailey is a good smoother. I much prefer that width over the 4. Lot of old time joiners have a 4 1/2.
I bought a 5 1/2 jackplane off a bloke in 2000 for fifteen quid, bought a replacement wooden tote and knob to replace the damaged placky jobs it had and treated it to a Samurai brand laminated iron*.
Got that ground to a slight camber so it removes more from the centre than the edges and it can be used to plane a board without leaving track lines from the corners. Also got another iron that's not cambered, depends on how flat I want something. Plus obviously I have a lecky powerplane, productivity has to be remembered at some point.
The No 6 I bought just because... Its long and nice. No real need but I just like using some tools and would really like to see how those powder metal irons that Veritas makes come on.
Honestly can't remember what I paid for the no 6, wasn't much.

I would recommend that book by Leonard Lee, the section on doing chainsaw chains is a bit thin on good detail (the Carlton sawchain PDF covers it far better) but the stuff on plane irons is pretty much unbeatable. I used to think that it was all about just getting something sharp enough, since reading that I understand that the cutting angle makes a HUGE difference. Just like it does with lathe tools for cutting metal unsurprisingly enough.

*Bit thicker than standard so has slightly more backlash in the adjuster but the iron holds a lot better edge than the standard one that Stanley supplied.

If all that^ makes me seem like a proper geek? Shucks, I'm gutted.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It mostly makes sense, and the bits that don't are because I am ignorant on the subject :).

Would you suggest the 9 1/2 would be a better choice for me than the 60 1/2? The angle looked higher to me?

I've got a small hand so it should suit.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It mostly makes sense, and the bits that don't are because I am ignorant on the subject :).

Would you suggest the 9 1/2 would be a better choice for me than the 60 1/2? The angle looked higher to me?

I've got a small hand so it should suit.

Dunno really. I liked the width of the 9 1/2 but the higher angle on a bevel up plane (can't remember but its got to be in the 20's) limits the cutting angle to pretty much the same as a bevel down bench plane (like your 4 1/2) gives.

I use my blockplane for all sorts though, hell sometimes I even plane doors with it (nothing else handy and the van with something more suitable a good distance away).

Initially I got used to the width of the 9 1/2 so was pretty reluctant to go to something narrower. When I got a little bit of cash from my fatherd death and wanted it to be spent on something I used a lot I bought the low angle Veritas block plane.
All this may seem like I'm being paid by them to fit their name into every post, I'm not, I have a few items they made and am a very satisfied customer. I just like a good handplane.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That veritas is undeniably beautiful! I looked it up when you first posted it - sadly I just can't afford on :(. I guess I'm trying to find a low budget alternative! I really appreciate all the advice though.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That veritas is undeniably beautiful! I looked it up when you first posted it - sadly I just can't afford on :(. I guess I'm trying to find a low budget alternative! I really appreciate all the advice though.

I bought it so some of the money he left (seven thousand split six ways) didn't just disappear into my mortgage with nothing real to show for it.
That book has a section on tuning handplanes which gives good information on getting the most out of the commonly avalible ones. I would urge anyone interested in the subject to either buy a copy or borrow a copy from the library.
It explained rather more about cutting geometry than I ever knew anyway.
Good reference.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Me as usual, catching spark on a first strike when a new batch of firesteels are made. I can never have enough of that! And one more thing: starting work at 9, finish at 4 and have lunch at my grandmothers. Can't immagine a better day :D :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I bought it so some of the money he left (seven thousand split six ways) didn't just disappear into my mortgage with nothing real to show for it.
That book has a section on tuning handplanes which gives good information on getting the most out of the commonly avalible ones. I would urge anyone interested in the subject to either buy a copy or borrow a copy from the library.
It explained rather more about cutting geometry than I ever knew anyway.
Good reference.

The book I can manage and I suspect knowledge will be the best purchase !

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Happiness is...

Not spending a fortune on a Valentine's Day gift.

Because home made, heart shaped oatcakes say it better than a cut bunch of foreign weeds ever can. :)

oatcakes.JPG

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I want to know what Virag is? Its in a bottle in sandbenders picture and, I hope, the coffee cup.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I want to know what Virag is? Its in a bottle in sandbenders picture and, I hope, the coffee cup.

It is a jar rather than bottle and it contains honey. Virág means flower, the jar contains 'wild-flower' honey. We use the more liquid'y' honey types for tea and such.

The real honey, the thick stuff we keep in larger jars in the store and scoop it out into smaller jars as needed.

Yes, that is a cup of coffee, not some strange liquor I've just poured from a bottle, we do have those though. :)

P9100028.JPG

Home made walnut liquor.

Raspberries would work for Mrs. S too, no greenhouse or space yet though. :(

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE