Happiness is......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Recently bought a secondhand Stanley no6 Foreplane (after having a 5 1/2 Jack for years) and I'm looking forward to treating it to a Veritas PM -V11 tool steel iron.

You are a bad man sir. I spent a couple of hours today stripping apart a no. 6 Bailey and truing the sole. Both handles need stripping and refinishing, the paint needs sorting and the iron reprofiling. Its a well used plane and the wood handles indicate a good few decades of age, but I think it can be brought back to life. Not handled a no 6 before. Its a serious sized bit of kit huh?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You are a bad man sir. I spent a couple of hours today stripping apart a no. 6 Bailey and truing the sole. Both handles need stripping and refinishing, the paint needs sorting and the iron reprofiling. Its a well used plane and the wood handles indicate a good few decades of age, but I think it can be brought back to life. Not handled a no 6 before. Its a serious sized bit of kit huh?

Bad man? I aim to please;)
I've not used mine yet, used my 5 1/2 many many times though as its my to go handplane.
My 6 could do with replacement tote and knob as the ones on it are about knackered. Plus I will be having one of those Veritas irons when I get a bit of spare cash.
That might be a while now as my rattle gun (Hitachi cordless impact screwdriver) is on the blink and I could do with a new one.

Recently I got given a fair heap of old tools by a customer after her father died, she wanted someone to take them who would use and look after them and seemingly I fit the bill.
Mostly Marples woodworking tools and in quite good condition as the old guy must have looked after them well.
I borrowed a mates Tormek wet grinder to touch them up, that's a serious bit of kit (that I'm glad I didn't pay for) and on the chisels less than an inch wide I reckon it took longer to set them up on the grinding jig than to grind them to an edge. Still need a bit of a hone but what a machine.

I turned up at her (the mates) house with about twenty chisels and I only expected to do five or so, was that good I did the lot.
And two plane irons.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
For me it is sitting in a beautiful place waiting for the Earth to turn and the clouds move so that the light is just right.

St-Monans-Pier-I.jpg

It's a pleasure that starts in the planning and lasts for days after as I coax the image to life in the computer back at home and remember it every time I see the picture.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Another beautiful photo Wayland:)

For me at the moment, happiness is the fact we are moving out of a damp flat into a thatched cottage with a tiny garden area that means we can now at least grow our own herbs for the kitchen and have a BBQ which was only possible when we went camping or to my mum's :sun:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Happiness for me in winter is finishing a new bike build and taking it on a test run and finding it working perfectly with buttery smooth gear changes and silent running components, then comes the temporary sadness of forcing myself to part with it to make space for the next one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE