Hand sanitizer as fire starter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightfly

On a new journey
Dec 22, 2010
ANC
Does anybody here use the small 100ML bottles of commercially available hand sanitizers as a viable fire starter?
And can some of them (with glycerine mixed in) be used to create a flame mixed in with potassium permanganate?
Thanks!

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive used it lots to start fires and i have used it as fuel too in my crusader kit its a good item as it doubles up always handy for cleaning your hands after game prep etc

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Same here, i have one of swmbo's old 250ml shampoo bottles that i keep filled with this gel for when i go out.

Its great as a firelighter in wet conditions and takes a spark well, as with spirit walker i also use it in my crusader kit as it produces about the same heat as the shop bought gel sachets but i can get a bottle of the stuff free from work. :cool:
one
Not sure about the other question but i also keep 2 small sealed bottles in my kit one containing potassium permanganate the other glycerin which will give a flame and is a great fire starter.

Cheers, Hamster

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
I tried several different ones, looking for one to use as priming gel for my Colemans petrol/Primus style stove. Several have too much gunk in the gel or too little alcohol, they don't burn well or leave a horrible residue. I tried so many I won't need to buy a hand sanitizer for a long time...

The best I have found is Carex Relaxing Aroma Gel Lavender and Rosewood. Not sure if the Lavender and Rosewood flavour is required!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have never had any luck with the pound shop stuff using a match so never used a fire steel! Will give the Asda stuff a try mind, same price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE