Hand drill fitting or scotch augur fitting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Can anyone tell me if such athing exists? I have a hand powered drill which I keep with my canoe for repairs but it occured to me the scotch augur type of handle arrangement is the least bulky - fit with stick on site. BUT this will entail getting all scotch eyed drill bits which I don't have.
So, is there such a device that fits ordinary drill bits and provides a scotch augur handle?
Alan

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have an old widget I found in an even older hardware shop with an eye like a scotch augur but takes the square hafted bits from a brace.

Scotch_Bit_Holder.jpg

Never seen another one but it proves they are out there.

Gypsy_Rig_in_post.jpg

Don't know about one that would take a round bit though. That would need a chuck of some kind.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
if it is adaptable smaller drill bits you are after, why not get a set of hex drive drill bits, lots of the multi tools now have a hex bit driver.
Or you could get a hex bit driver welded to a piece of pipe or bar, example of drill bits on the link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13pc-Hss-...erTools_SM&hash=item3a74027953#ht_3142wt_1037

you could also mount a holder in a piece of hazel and use them with a bow drill

Last edited:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
Wayland - That looks nice and compact and is just the thing.
Chas - I have those hex drill bits in small sizes, and I'll have a look to see whether I can get large sizes.
Blimo-p5 - That looks heavy, but might be worth a look at.
Shaggystu - That size is more like I want.

Off to the garage to see what hex driver handles I have. Thanks for the help.
Alan

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
My wheel brace, (a larger version of a hand drill) the chuck unscrews if you keep twisting to open the jaws, if a length of threaded bar had an eye welded to it this would do the same job. most hand drills the chuck is removable. the older type it is the threaded bar that forces the jaws closed. key operated chucks and the keyless twist chucks have a different gear inside for tightening the jaws but are still removable and can be threaded onto a threaded bar with an eye

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
Big Stu 12 - Sadly I have no facilities or skills in welding. But might draw up a 'design' and get it fabricated if I can't find ready made.
Biker - Like your top tip with the 6mm fitting. The brass door knob is a neat solution. Will it work with 12mm to 20mm sized drill bits from the point of allowing purchase as I thought a bar gave the mechanical advantage required for drilling. I'll have to test this out.
British Red - Those are the sizes I was looking for.
Thanks A

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the square shaped end to the augers is known as a 'Jennings Pattern' end, just so folk know what to search for ;) Dick Tools (now Dictum) sell a Jennings adaptor that will hold a hex ended bit in a brace or square Jennings socket. That is useful because then you can have a variety of bits in moth styles and only carry one brace or other handle device. A piece of pipe (heavy wall gas pipe, scaffold, etc) with a square hole in it will do a good job of holding a jennings bit, the hole can be made by filing the corners into a round drilled hole. Personally I would think a good tap wrench would be easier since it will hold hex and Jennings of any size; but do buy a good one and not a cheap flimsy one, it will work better!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE