Hammocking without underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Now then all, I'm off out tonight to the woods. With the weather being as it is I was thinking of leaving my tarp and underblanket at home. The night temps are going to drop to around 12. I've never used my hammock overnight without my underquilt so I just wanted to see at what temperature I could get away with it at. Any advice??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You'll probably be okay without it rigt now, what's the temp forecast for where you are?

Maybe stick a short mat in your pack to go under your derriere at least

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dont use an underquilt - I just shove my kip mat inside the hammock :)
Lower bulk, more versitility and it helps spread the hammock a little - thus reducing the "sausage skin" effect ....
I have used reindeer skins, closed cell foam, self inflating and currently down fill airbed type mats to good effect.
The only time I have been realy comfortable in a hammock without any kind of lower insulation was in the jungle.
The trouble is that your own weight crushes the insulation in your sleeping bag giving you a total "cold spot" ....

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
it's going to go down to 12 shewie. i think i'll leave my tarp but take the uq just in case. i just wish i could leave it cos it's the biggest thing in my pack.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
just taken the mrs to work. the car said it was 14 and there was still a little nip in the air. think it'll be wise to take the underquilt.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I've never used an UQ, but am embarking on a Southey inspired sleeping bag mod.

Up to now, I have used my inflatable sleeping mat and blankets, and then my 3 season bag. Build a decent size fire ith a log wall to reflect the heat, with our "indian summer" temps at the moment you should get a good night's kip surely?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
just taken the mrs to work. the car said it was 14 and there was still a little nip in the air. think it'll be wise to take the underquilt.

I recently hammocked for two nights when the temp went down to around 12C. I am not a regular hammocker and therefore don't possess an underquilt. I used a reindeer skin underneath and a wool blanket on top and was fine sleeping in my clothes.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Go for it Simon, I don't have an underblanket but have hammocked to just above freezing with a thin foam roll mat and sleeping bag. You'll live!

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
I have a DD travel hammock (doesnt breath that well), so i prefer an underquilt, either a summer or no sleeping bag and sleeping in a tshirt. I find im able to control my temp much better, dont sweat as much and dont wake up with that clammy feeling.
Trial and error though. My mates spend most of their hangs in their sleeping bags, wrapped up in the second layer with no underquilt.
It might not seem cold enough for an underquilt, but it doesnt take much of a breeze to make your butt cold!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE