hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I think your weight would compress the loft, which maybe okay in the summer,but you would defo get cold spots this time of year.A roll matt between the two layer's would probably work better than a sleeping bag, but again i think you'd struggle to keep warm this time of year.By the way im a hammock amateur but that would be my opinion.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
As andy said, your weight would compress the insulation so it would be less effective, it would be better put around the hammock but that requires some modification.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Between the two hammock layers it will compress...
You will get much more benefit having it slung underneath the hammock on separate cord/elastic setup so it hugs the underside of the hammock....
This way the sleeping bag insulation stays fluffed up and protects you from the cold air beneath you...

I did the same with a poncho, a poncho liner and some paracord on one occasion....worked a treat....

Make sense?

Tom

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I've been throught exactly the same process as you. And what I have found works better than anything else is to slip a cheap foam sleep mat in 'between the double layer of the hammock. I widened mine by cutting up a second sleep mat and adding "wings" on the the mat, thus making it as wide as the hammock. Well worth a try, and much less weight than using a sleeping bag as insulation.

I was lying out in my hammock in the garden last night, minus 5 degrees, looking at the starry sky for a couple of hours, with only a wool blanket over me (I had my indoor clothes on) and my back and bottom were toasty warm against the hammock/foam pad layer and only slightly cool on top!

Last edited:

trewornan

Sep 24, 2005
UK
It will provide extra insulation certainly but it won't be terribly effective because of the compression. I used a closed cell foam mat for a long time and they are very effective but bulky. Currently I'm using a self inflating pad (Gelert 3/4 length) which I'm finding extremely effective and very comfortable if left half inflated. It a good bit more expensive than a ccf pad but not unreasonable - you should be able to find one for around £20.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE