Hammock warmth

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've been looking at under quilts to use this winter, and it made me wonder... what is the difference between using a manufactured under quilt or using another sleeping bag to wrap around the hammock?

A bit confused to how an under quilt works, I'll admit, so sorry if this sounds like a daft question.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Assuming you suspend the old sleeping bag properly, frankly nothing. I had an old double sleeping bag, cut it to size and sewed channels with pound shop bungees in. Works great! Basically it just needs to be touching the hammock but not compressed by your body, traps an air layer for insulation and a bit of a windbreak. Stops the old CAS! Kept me warm in a foot of snow
I will admit I didn't do the sewing. My good lady did that bit, couldn't sew at the time.
NB. If you've had a couple of campfire bevvies try not to do what I did and get into the bag and not the hammock, hilarious as the thud may be it's not half sore in the morning!

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Best if the underquilt isn't touching the underside of the hammock when you are in the hammock, a gap of an inch or three warms up and improves the insulation effect.

Cheers, Paul

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
An old sleeping bag is just as effective as a down UQ but bulkier and heavier if you're carrying it far. Considering they're often free or cheap, you can't go wrong!

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I happened upon this a couple of days ago...

[video=youtube;SyJSF_okf24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJSF_okf24[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
No difference really, just a purpose made under quilt should fit a hammock better and be easier to adjust, and also have less material than a full sleeping bag and so be lighter and less bulky. If you're not bothered about weight and volume and are able to rig a suspension system for a sleeping bag then go for that.

to paraphrase a lot of other people:- it doesn't matter what you use, as long as it works and you get out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE