Hammock underblanket --- Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Hi all,
I am thinking of organizing a group buy for an underblanket or a peapod sleeping bag for group hammock. The companies I will be approaching will be Snugpak and Nanok, depending on opinion.
The reason for this post is to gauge opinion and possible demand. Also do I, we, go for underblanket or peapod bag. Have no idea as yet about costs, spec, or timeframe. As I say a very general enquiry at moment.
Let me know what you think.
Ian.

Reactions: JonnyP

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Just to add Ian asked me a bit about this so I know the plan is to ask the companies about making an underblanket to suit the group buy type hammocks. My experience of underblankets is good so if these can be turned out at a good price it would be well worth the investment.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
im a definite. im going to get one anyway so if theres a group buy going on this id be up for it. no matter how long i had to wait. how did you get on magickelly with the test of the underblanket you got from that american site?
regards
james :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I for one would certainly be interested in something suitable for sleeping on as my 3/4" thick, 3/4 length mat and swannie, just don't keep me warm enough underneath in the winter.
What is a peapod sleeping bag.................Jon

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Jon,
A peapod sleeping bag is basically a sleeping bag that has a hole in each end so that your hammock fits inside the bag. The main problem with sleeping bags is that you compress the insulation at the bottom as you lie on it . Hence why you need a Thermarest or similar. So if you put the bag outside the hammock ,no compression so far better insulation. Hope that helps.
Ian.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have been looking at the 'Kickass' under quilt idea (this lines the underside of a hammock) for my MagiKelly group buy hammock. I am sure that I could source all the correct materials from Point North. The difficulty is that which I'm sure others suffer from 'too much to do in too little time' syndrome ! Consequently an offer of a group buy of something along similar lines is very tempting.
I would not want anything inside my hammock except my sleeping bag. At present I am sleeping on a short Thermarest and the hammock is lined inside with a horse blanket to stop the cold creeping in where my arms and hips touch the outside material. This is a pain to put mildly. It would be really nice NOT to have all this stuff inside!
Just a last point, after 40 + years of sleeping on the ground using various systems and now the proud posessor of a Fat Airic mat,I am a total convert to the hammock idea (thanks to MagiKelly) so the RIGHT underquilt of good quality, which would pack small and work well, would be a real find.
Perhaps there should be a choice of two seasons in the group buy as I'm sure there are people who would use their hammocks well into winter and I can not see a summer liner working as well as a thicker winter one. Horses for courses.
Thanks Wanderinstar from Swyn
PS, I would wand two!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'd be intrested in one I have an eco sleep can anyone compare the group buys to the echo sleep? if a pea pod was made would it fit my eco ? i think i could just modifiy an under quilt though

James

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have a question for you all. Do I go for the underblanket, which fits under the hammock leaving the top open and just your sleeping bag to keep you warm, or the peapod bag that completly encompasses the hammock. In the summer you could use it on its own and in the winter you could use your existing bag inside, so giving you more protection.

I personally have a Nanok Endurance 0 deg, into which you can fit an Endurance -10deg and according to Nanok this will give protection down to -25deg.
Hope I have made myself clear.

Tell me what you want!!

Ian.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
wanderinstar said:
Jon,
A peapod sleeping bag is basically a sleeping bag that has a hole in each end so that your hammock fits inside the bag. The main problem with sleeping bags is that you compress the insulation at the bottom as you lie on it . Hence why you need a Thermarest or similar. So if you put the bag outside the hammock ,no compression so far better insulation. Hope that helps.
Ian.

Sure does help..............Cheers Ian.
Saying that, I for one would rather buy an under blanket as I already have a sleeping bag or four. Are the underblankets wind proof ?...................Jon

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Underblanket. Gives more flexibility and means you can move about more. For a pea pod to be as comfortable it would have to be very wide and therefore large and heavy. With the underblanket you can dispense with the sleeping bag and just use a top blanket but I would tend to think of it as just replacing the thermarest and still use a sleeping bag.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Would definitely be interested in an underblanket. Have been toying with the idea of making something along the lines of Kickass quilt for my HH for a while, but in reality I'm lacking the time to do it. Group buy sounds like a great idea to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE