Hammock Showdown: Hennessy vs Clark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I thought you might be interested in a comparative review of the Hennessy and Clark hammocks - in this case a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe (HH) vs the Clark NX-250. I was converted to hammocking earlier this year, and haven't looked back. My first was a DD Travel hammock but I didn't feel stable in it, so I moved to the HH. However, I was tempted by the Clark as a potentially more versatile sleeping system in which it might be easier to sleep on my side.

The two have very different approaches to hammocking: the HH is an 'under entry' system with a clipped in fly sheet and two guy lines, plus a couple of lengths of shock cord to spread the hammock out. A line runs under the mosquito net with a storage bag for bits and pieces when you're in the hammock, and you can hook other items to it.

3873485419_7fafd78230.jpg

Hennessy Explorer Deluxe A-Sym

The Clark is a more traditional 'side entry,' with a removable mosquito net and weather shield (essentially a zipped in fly sheet) and a separate tarp. When the weather shield is in use, two hoops create a tent-like cocoon that you can sit up in. The Clark has six large pockets underneath that can store clothes, boots, bottles etc, two pockets inside, and a pocket on top to store its fly sheet when not in use.

3874272828_f9884301e4.jpg

Clark NX-250

I've slept in both on different occasions in the same patch of woodland in the same wet weather, so the comparison is fair. The weather was very mild, so no need for an underquilt. I had the car with me so had access to blankets, pillows etc to make myself comfortable.

3874272044_784911a24a.jpg

Hennessy under test

3873485175_e2fb7b2485.jpg

Clark under test
So, here goes with the comparison. I've tried to pick out the key points that matter in choosing a hammock.

Cost: $200 for the HH, $400 for the Clark. Even if you take the optional Hex flysheet for the HH, you're still quids in.
Winner: Hennessy

Build quality: Both hammocks are extremely well made of silnylon, and ooze quality. However, I don't much like the nylon rope on the Clark, which is difficult to handle, and the Clark's guy lines are 2mm cord which is so thin that it can be hard to tie or hank. I intend to replace both the ropes and the cord on the Clark with something more like the HH's lines. I also noticed that the rubber stoppers on the end of the Clark's poles came off very easily, so a dab of glue was needed to stop them getting lost.

Portability: The HH comes in a stuff sack, with the whole unit squeezed into its 'snakeskins' which keep it out of the muck during setup. The Clark has a built-in stuff sack (like an old pac-a-mac) that will take the hammock and fly, but not the poles. Once packed, it's still somewhat larger than the HH, although they weigh about the same.

Setup: Both hammocks use tree hugger straps, and the same technique to tie them. I mentioned that the Clark's ropes are rather odd, so tying them in place is somewhat trickier than the HH. The Clark has to be tied with a slight sag in the middle, whilst the goal with the HH is to get the top line completely horizontal (in fact you can buy a hanging spirit level for just that!). Once the HH is tied, simply clip the fly on top of it using the provided prussiks, tie the lines down with two pegs, clip the shock cords to those pegs and it's ready to go. The Clark on the other hand has a separate fly with six pegs and two lines for fixing to the trees, and it's essential to line up the fly with the hammock. Then run the flexible poles into their guides and it's ready. There's no doubt that the HH is the easier of the two, taking half the time to setup.

Bedtime: This is where, for me, the HH trips up a little. It's easy enough to hop in - pull open the velcro entry, back in and sit down, lift up your legs and it snaps shut behind you. However, I find there's not enough room to undress in the hammock, and there's nowhere to put your kit in there, so I end up stripping in the woods and then getting in - doesn't bother me, but it might scare the wildlife :) This means you have to pack all your clothes away before bed, and be ever so organised to live with it.

The Clark couldn't be easier to live with. Climb in from the side as you would with any other hammock. You can zip up the mosquito net or the weather shield, or sleep with it open. There's plenty of space to sit up and sort yourself out, and the six huge pockets on the underside took all my gear without a problem, plus a book, bottle, ipod and everything else I could have wanted. My pack stayed on the ground under the flysheet which is much bigger than the HH's (although a fairer comparison might be with the HH hex fly, which is an optional extra).
Winner: Clark

Sleeping: The HH is a real 'marmite' hammock - you either love the sleeping position or you hate it. The trick is to get the small of your back across the centre line, and lie on a slight diagonal. There's plenty of space to do so. Don't try to get into a sleeping bag but instead use it as a quilt, I found it very difficult to get into the bag and then slipped all over the place. There is space to turn over, and the hammock is very stable if you do so (the shock cords act as dampers so it doesn't swing about), but I never quite got comfortable. In fact, the first few times I used the HH, I needed to see the osteopath afterwards to get my spine rearranged. It does have its upsides though, I love the hanging storage pocket which is always easy to find.

The Clark really is gorgeous to sleep in, lots of space to move around, lie in any position you like, and I was out like a light. What else to say? You can also use the Clark as a seat, which you can (in theory) do with the HH but the mosquito net gets in the way.

It's worth mentioning that the HH is easy to get out of, but once again you'll scare the wildlife as a semi-naked body appears legs first from the underside of the cocoon. I found the Clark much simpler to hop out during the night, and once out I had a bigger tarp to hide under as I put my boots on.
Winner: Clark

Packing Up: Each hammock has its strengths here. I was able to take the Clark down whilst still sheltering under the flysheet, remove the poles, stuff it into its pouch, and then take the fly down. The HH is much quicker - pop the fly off, roll down the snakeskins, untie it and shove it in the sack.

So the final score: HH 5-2 Clark

BUT: which one would I buy? That's not so simple. For a versatile, lightweight, simple hammock system, the HH is the outright winner, but you need to get used to the sleeping position (and to try one before you buy if you can). If you don't take the Hex fly option, then you ought to carry a tarp as well so that you've got something to shelter/cook under.

The Clark is much more a 'basecamp' option. If you're not so worried about size or speed of setup, then at the end of the day you have a more versatile, comfortable bed for the night. The Clark's the easier hammock to live with, much nicer to sleep in, and if I had to choose just one then it would still be the Clark, despite its shortcomings. I'm going to 'pimp' the Clark with new ropes, a single rope across the apex of the tarp so that I can adjust it using prussiks, and shock cords for the guy lines. That should make for a pretty near perfect sleep system. But that said, if I were backpacking, I'd take the HH for its simplicity and speed.

I'd love to hear comments on your experiences with either of these hammocks.

Tobes

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
I have owned both the HH and the Clark north american.

I sold the HH and hapilly kept the Clark.

My main problems with the HH is that the quick and easy packing means that if you are out in horrrible weather, your soaking wet flysheet will saturate your home for the night. You could rig a separate tarp, but then that would negate the advantage. Secondly, the underneath entry system made getting into sleeping bags a bit of a faff - as you said. The HH claim of using it as a seat is also pushing its utility a little far. Overall, nicely made and idiot-proof, but lacking sophistication and flexibility.

My Clark is all about being able to setup just-so and about flexibility. My Clark has had the nasty lines swapped and instead of the supplied drip rings I use karabiners which do the same job as well as helping setup and adjust. I use my old hootchie tarp which has better lines, and allows me to set up under shelter and to store my hammock separately in the dry. My wet tarp gets packed separately and my nice dry hammock stored in my pack main compartment. I can also use my tarp separately if I need to in the day. Instead of poles the model connects up to the fly with some bungee-d lines. I use some quick release prussiks for very quick and easy setup and take-down. All-in I use 4 knots which are now so ingrained that the whole setup in done in 4 minutes-ish.

The Clark is definitely the warmer of the 2 hammocks - the underside storage insulates a bit and the zip-over wind shield makes a very big difference. The Clark has masses of storage - 6 BIG pockets underneath and a good glasses/torch pouch inside. The Clark also has an internal haul loop for pulling yourself towards the head end (you never really realise how good this is until tried). The final bonus for the Clark is that if you in a dry environment you can rig easily with just your bug net and if no bugs around without to enjoy the stars!

So, in all, I think fair review points, but it depends what you are looking for. For hammocking newbie who find knots a problem - HH. For the more competent hammocker who wants the most versatile system - got to be the Clark.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I was converted to hammocking earlier this year, and haven't looked back. My first was a DD Travel hammock but I didn't feel stable in it, so I moved to the HH. However, I was tempted by the Clark as a potentially more versatile sleeping system in which it might be easier to sleep on my side.

A really interesting review, and helps towards answering my question posted earlier, but I wonder if you could elaborate on your comment about not feeling stable in the DD travel hammock and why you think the HH or Clark is that much better.

Thanks,

Graham

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
A really interesting review, and helps towards answering my question posted earlier, but I wonder if you could elaborate on your comment about not feeling stable in the DD travel hammock and why you think the HH or Clark is that much better.

Thanks,

Graham

Quite possibly just because it was my first hammock - I'm 6'2" and 230lbs, and to me it just felt too cramped. For the money the DD is outstanding. I guess with the HH or Clark you're dealing with a full sleep system as opposed to a hammock, but then you're paying through the nose as well. Are either worth the extra? Probably not, but the same could be said for instant coffee vs. double espresso - they both do the same job, it's all down to personal tastes...
:rolleyes:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Quite possibly just because it was my first hammock - I'm 6'2" and 230lbs, and to me it just felt too cramped.
:rolleyes:

Thanks, that would make sense. It has to be said that although I have never slept in a hammock, I have looked enviously at the Clark web site for years

Graham

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
Found the same problem getting settled in my 'Expedition' Hennesy and actually 'broke it in' by poking my left elbow through the net seam trying to get comfortable - but I'm putting that down to general inexperience and clumsiness. It's right that it does require a certain mind set to use and to be fair, it is aimed at people who are on the move, for which it is perfect. One advantage I found of the original small tarp - it makes it very easy to set up in awkward places.

Small suggestion - if you pull the prussick knots through the snakeskins (towards the trees) it will allow you to fix or remove the tarp in the rain without getting the hammock wet. Does mean the sleeves are slightly 'bunched up' at the end of the hammock, but it's no biggie and at least they too are also out of the rain.

Is it just me, or are we just over designing a very simple thing in an effort to make it perfect when it already was? Just a thought.

Enjoyed the review. Thanks.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
My Clark is all about being able to setup just-so and about flexibility. My Clark has had the nasty lines swapped and instead of the supplied drip rings I use karabiners which do the same job as well as helping setup and adjust. I use my old hootchie tarp which has better lines, and allows me to set up under shelter and to store my hammock separately in the dry. My wet tarp gets packed separately and my nice dry hammock stored in my pack main compartment. I can also use my tarp separately if I need to in the day. Instead of poles the model connects up to the fly with some bungee-d lines. I use some quick release prussiks for very quick and easy setup and take-down. All-in I use 4 knots which are now so ingrained that the whole setup in done in 4 minutes-ish.

I think I can picture the setup, but do you have any pics? Would be good to see your setup.

Cheers

Tobes

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Let me know Tobes if you ever ann sell the Clark. Id love one but cant be bothered of all the hassle of ordering it from the states.

Cheers,

Paul

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good reading tobes, thanks for taking the time fella.

I've got the HH Exped but don't really use it that much, prefering an open hammock like the Nomad Travel XL or the GB silk one. I'm waiting on the mossie net GB to come good before deciding whether to sell the HH or not, it's handy to have if I'm heading up north in midgeland with the canoe.

An excellent review which echos my own experience with both these pieces of kit exactly.

Yes the HH is the "easier" of the two to generally live with but the Clark wins for me - simply because it's a better nights kip!

If you can, then "try before you buy" is definitely the way to go with hammocks.

welshwoodsman

Jan 14, 2006
llanelli
i had a hh. it was a cracking bit of kit,but i just couldn't get on with it. i now have a clark north american hammock and i'm very pleased with it. definitely the better of the two.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Nice write-up! I own a HH Explorer Deluxe, never had a Clark.
Here's me 2 cents:

Underblanket compatibility
Even in mild conditions, I'd want my underblanket under my hammock. In June, hanging without underblanket, I could feel every small gust of wind on my back and I got cold. And I was IN my sleeping bag.

HH Problem: underblanket is in the way of the underside entry slit. (unless you pay $ 200 - 400 for a Jacks R better underquilt.)

Clark problem: If you have your boots and clothing in the sacks beneath you, the underblanket will be bobbly and not nearly insulate as much as wit a nice snug fit.

> I solved this by having a zipper installed on the HH netting. That's makes the use of an HH 100% nicer. Easier entry, you can reach everything, easy to adjust underblanket, etc.

Sagging tarp / wet tarp
Because you tie the tarp to the same lines as your hammock, everything will be nice and tight when setting up. However, when you get in the HH, your weight makes it sag - that's nomal. That sagging means you bring the ridge lines under a different angle. The result is that the tarp will sag a bit too, and will go flapping when it's windy.

So it's best to tie the tarp to a separate ridgeline altogether. This will also allow you to pack yer hammock up dry, and store the wet tarp separate.

However: On youtube there are some vids on packing your HH with the snakeskins in a way, that will keep the hammock dry even when the tarp is wet.

Lying straight
The diagonal of the HH makes it possible to lie almost horizontaly. The Clark is non-diagonal hammock I think. So even if you string it up tight, your body weight will sag it down. I think that would mean that your back would always be bent. Is that correct? (can't speak from experience here.)

PS: The most informative site on hammocks: www.hammockforums.net

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
I have owned both the HH and the Clark north american.

I sold the HH and hapilly kept the Clark.

The Clark has masses of storage - 6 BIG pockets underneath and a good glasses/torch pouch inside.

Hi Treemonk

I have a DD travel hammock but am recently thinking about updgrading to something or other. I quite like the look of the Clarks on their website and the north american in particular. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind (finding one to try for yourself before buying is so difficult in the UK).

1 - I am just under 6ft tall. I have heard some people say that the Clark NA is a bit on the short side. Is that true ? How tall are you, and do you find the length a problem at all?

2 - Is there anywhere to put a thermarest like there is on the DD hammocks ?
Again others have said that if the 6 under-pockets have gear in you don't get a good "seal" under the hammock as the bumpy pockets push any under-insulation away. Have you tried using anything like a thermarest with yours and where would/could you put it (inside maybe ?) ?

3 - Am I right in assuming the weight stated on the Clark website is inclusive of the standard fly sheet (in other words, if you packed the hammock, lines, bug-net, etc, but no flysheet it would actaully be lighter as a pure hammock ,than the figures they show on their site. Do you have any idea of the weight of the hammock and all the bits necessary to set it up as a bare minimum setup (no flysheet) ?
I already have a good tarp which gives me a better coverage for moving about cooking etc, during the day.

Sorry so many questions. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I can't comment on the weight, and my hammock's the NX-250, not the NA, but:
1. I'm 6'2" and there's stacks of space. I reckon I could easily be 6" taller without a problem.

2. I put a thermarest in the hammock under me when I slept out in -10 degrees, with a Snugpak underquilt suspended under the hammock, and was very warm indeed.

Cheers

Tobes

Hi Treemonk

I have a DD travel hammock but am recently thinking about updgrading to something or other. I quite like the look of the Clarks on their website and the north american in particular. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind (finding one to try for yourself before buying is so difficult in the UK).

1 - I am just under 6ft tall. I have heard some people say that the Clark NA is a bit on the short side. Is that true ? How tall are you, and do you find the length a problem at all?

2 - Is there anywhere to put a thermarest like there is on the DD hammocks ?
Again others have said that if the 6 under-pockets have gear in you don't get a good "seal" under the hammock as the bumpy pockets push any under-insulation away. Have you tried using anything like a thermarest with yours and where would/could you put it (inside maybe ?) ?

3 - Am I right in assuming the weight stated on the Clark website is inclusive of the standard fly sheet (in other words, if you packed the hammock, lines, bug-net, etc, but no flysheet it would actaully be lighter as a pure hammock ,than the figures they show on their site. Do you have any idea of the weight of the hammock and all the bits necessary to set it up as a bare minimum setup (no flysheet) ?
I already have a good tarp which gives me a better coverage for moving about cooking etc, during the day.

Sorry so many questions. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks very much.

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
I can't comment on the weight, and my hammock's the NX-250, not the NA, but:
1. I'm 6'2" and there's stacks of space. I reckon I could easily be 6" taller without a problem.

2. I put a thermarest in the hammock under me when I slept out in -10 degrees, with a Snugpak underquilt suspended under the hammock, and was very warm indeed.

Cheers

Tobes

Hi Tobes

Thanks for the info. It sounds like there's plenty of space and the insulation is good. That's really helpful information.

Thanks again.

springer

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
The warbonnet blackbird is way better than either the HH or clarks. Well worth checking out if you get the chance.

Thanks unsponsored. I've not hear of that make before (there are probably so many out there beyond just the obviouse big names).

Really appreciate the recommendation. I will definately check that one out as well.

All the best

springer

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
The warbonnet blackbird is way better than either the HH or clarks. Well worth checking out if you get the chance.

Checked out the blackbird earlier this week and it really is a very nice looking hammock. The only thing that put me off is not being able to move the bug net completely out of the way (only half-way), and it relies on being pegged out the side to make full use of it's storage facilities. Only minor points really I suppose, but I've sort of got used to bring able to remove the bug net on my DD, and get in and out from either side, and I like the feeling of swinging sometimes, without lateral restraints. In all other respects it's a great hammock, and my 'issues' are only entirely personal things; just what you get used to I suppose. It's certainly in my personal top 3 list of the ones I've seen do far, and I think I'd be very happy if I ended up with one

Since then I've decided on a Clark NX-200 in the end, to replace my DD Travel Hammock. I like the fact that with the clark I can fold the net completely out of site, and that it also has a weathershield for really bad weather (something we get a lot of in the UK to be honest), which can also be folded completely out of the way. It also includes its own tarp.
This means that the from the 'one' bit of kit I can go from a completely open hammock to a completely coccooned setup or anywhere in between. It looks like a great design, and everyone I've spoken to has praised the build quality of the Clarks.
It is a bit on the heavy side compared to some other hammocks, but bearing the included tarp in mind, when I compare it my current separate DD hammock and JRB tarp, the new Clark will still be almost 1/4 of a kg lighter, and the two parts of the clark can be totally separated and used independently (at least with the hammock as an open hammock) much like my current DD and JRB combination; a win, win situation (except that they are rather expensive, but then the best things in life often are).

Zarkwon - good luck with your blackbird. From what I've seen of it, I don't think you'll be disappointed. goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE